𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 18

Why is there no end to the number of Kiras out there?

Now, there was another one to track down. They'd figured that this one was an employee at Yotsuba, and she'd guessed that Rem (the Shinigami who liked popping up every now and then to attempt to make (Y/n) fall into cardiac arrest) had probably selected the third Kira.

This one's MO was different from Light's, so it couldn't have been her brother who chose. This Kira didn't just target 'criminals' as Light defined them. The motives also seemed a little more selfishly inclined.

And she'd said as much when L asked for her opinion, making him shoot her an approving look. Something he'd taken to doing since it had been made clear that she didn't absolutely hate him.

She guessed he was making an effort to approach a middle ground between them, and (Y/n) could appreciate that.

It was also a wonderful thing to see Light's vaguely constipated look every time he caught any semblance of an amicable interaction between them.

Although, (Y/n) could do without having Misa read into everything more than necessary.

Like right then for instance, when the blonde had the profiler captive in her room as she insisted on spending quality time with her boyfriend's sister.

"Have you ever spent down time like this with your girl friends in America, (Y/n)?" Misa asked, skillful fingers busy with (Y/n)'s hair, attempting to twist the strands into some fancy hairstyle.

The elder woman hummed. "We do get together every once in a while to get a meal." And a drink or two, but she doubted her father would appreciate that detail, so she kept it to herself. "Not too often, though. A few of my colleagues have children and families to spend time with too, and given how few and short-lived our days off tend to be, they put family first."

Misa sighed. "That's so sad. It must put a lot of strain on them, right?"

"It does," (Y/n) agreed. "Being single is extremely convenient in these situations."

Giggling, Misa shook her head. "But being in love is so wonderful!" she exclaimed, and (Y/n) could practically see Light squirming uncomfortably from the main room. "You just have to find the right person who'd be willing to put up with all the workload and inconveniences of your job. Did you go on a few dates at least?"