𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 24

As far as (Y/n) was concerned all the pieces were in place for her plan to be put into action and foil Light's own from when he'd consciously been Kira

Higuchi turned out to be hugely predictable, going through the motions exactly how Light (as Kira), L and she had anticipated on separate occasions. With Misa safely out of the country for the next week or so and (Y/n) ignoring his calls, they'd expected him to begin driving out to Yoshida Productions in order to obtain "Matsui's" real name before Higuchi's identity could be revealed or further damage could be brought to Yotsuba.

The surveillance installed by L's contact, Wedy, had proven to be exceptionally helpful now as the Task Force tracked Higuchi's frenzied chase through the city. Even more so for her as someone who had all sides of the story at all times, making her the only one who immediately understood the gravity of the third Kira's actions when he made the eye deal with Rem.

It wasn't all that alarming. Her plans wouldn't be affected. Besides, this too had been accounted for, even though the possible loss of innocent life was a concerning downside.

It only took the death of a traffic control officer at Higuchi's hands for L to realize what their suspect had done and get the detective spurring into action, instructing the officers to make an arrest as soon as possible while he lead (Y/n) and Light to the rooftop where a helicopter awaited them, much to the bewilderment of the Yagami siblings.

Sure, she had counted on L getting them on the scene, but something as extravagant as a helicopter had been a little too far out of sight even for her. Just how rich was the greatest detective?

"It appears that Mr. Yagami has been shot in the midst of Higuchi's escape from Sakura TV," L muttered, barely heard over the rush of air and the sound of the rotor.

It was enough, however. (Y/n) hadn't been expecting to feel any sort of alarm during the chase, let alone a shock of this magnitude. For a horrifying moment, she wondered if her heart had just given out in her chest.

"What?!" Light cried out, eyes wide, hand gripping hers from his seat next to her. His grip was tight enough to feel like it was cutting off her circulation, but felt almost reassuring in its familiarity.