𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 22

TW:- Description of a panic attack

Companionable silence permeated the air between the Yagami siblings, interrupted only by the rhythmic tapping of keyboard keys or L's soft breathing as he took a nap in the chair next to Light's, having been forced into resting by (Y/n)'s unyieldi...

Companionable silence permeated the air between the Yagami siblings, interrupted only by the rhythmic tapping of keyboard keys or L's soft breathing as he took a nap in the chair next to Light's, having been forced into resting by (Y/n)'s unyielding insistence.

"You should get some sleep, too, you know," the woman muttered to her brother softly, not looking away from the report she was typing for another case solved by the BAU in the States. "It's past one a.m."

Light furrowed his brows at her. "And what about you?"

She spared him a fleeting side-long glance before shrugging and returning her attention to her work. "I have urgent work due," she informed, "and I took a nap during the afternoon. What's your excuse, Light?"

Sighing, he turned away from her, staring at the gray tabletop instead. "I just have a lot on my mind right now."

"Oh?"

Light frowned. No further inquiries. Not a glance away from her report. The lack of concern from his sister was disconcerting to say the least. But then, it wouldn't be the first change in demeanor he would notice in (Y/n). He couldn't pretend to not have realized the gradual increase in distance between them, and in all honesty, it stung when he didn't know what was causing it.

"Are you going to continue?" (Y/n) interrupted his insecure train of thought with raised eyebrows. "I mean, it's fine if you don't want to talk about it, but--"

"You don't mind?" The words were out before he could quite stop them and Light cringed at himself, embarrassed when faced by her amused skepticism. He hadn't realized (Y/n) could be so silently unapproachable till now.

She shook her head. "Why would I mind, dearest Otouto?" Despite the words, there was a glaring lack of familiar warmth that Light did his best to ignore.

Maybe she just wasn't in a good mood and he was reading too much into things?

"Light?" she called again, lips pressed in a thin line. She eyed him carefully for a moment, reaching out to press her palm to his forehead. "A fever, perhaps," he heard her mutter to herself, making him chuckle and duck away from her reach.