Chapter 40

MIA'S P.O.V

It's 12 of February today, mines and Carters 3 year anniversary. It's funny how fast time has gone by. I remember it like yesterday when he asked me out. We've been friends for five years prior to us getting together and I had developed a massive crush on him as the years we're going by. He was funny, caring, adventurous and loving. Some of these things he still is but back then he showed them more. We were out with friends at the beach and he was sitting next to me with his arm hanging on around my shoulders and at one point he leaned a bit forward and asked me if I wanted to go out some time just the two of us. I, of course, said yes. I was so excited and feeling all fuzzy on the inside. I was so happy that I wasn't the only one having a crush. It's funny how those feelings change now.

I ram through my closet thinking of what to wear. He said to dress comfortably and warm. It's 8 o'clock in the night middle of February it's going to be cold outside. I decided to wear my black joggers, a black short sleeve polo neck top with a green sweatshirt over it. I get dressed and grab my chunky black trainers slipping them on before picking my puffer coat of the hanger.

I don't know what he has planned for us but I'm actually excited. We might not be doing great in our relationship at the moment and Axel trying to win me over is making things 10 times more difficult but one thing is for sure. I love Carter and he loves me. I'm not sure if we're in love with one another still
but, we'll give us a chance and see where things go.

He pops his head through the door giving me a sneak pick of what he is wearing. His dress very similarly to me. He has back joggers on, a white poll neck, his black puffer jacket and his wearing his white trainers.

"Are you ready baby?" he smiles coming closer to me with small steps.

"Yeah, are we ready to go?" He wraps his hand around my waist once he reaches me and leans down to where our noses are touching.

"Yeah, let's go I think you'll love it, " he says quietly and kisses me.

The kiss is simple, slow, soft and deep. It's a kiss full of emotion. A kiss that says I love you. We slowly pull away both of our lips a bit more red and swollen.

"Let's go, " I say excited grabbing his hand and pulling him to the front door.

"Wow, slow down baby, " he chuckles removing his hand from mine.

I pout being feeling inpatient but it quickly transforms into a smile once he leans in pecks them before disappearing towards the kitchen. He comes back with a big backpack and two hot thermal bottles.

"I make us hot chocolates for the ride, it's going to be a bit long, " he says passing me one bottle down.

"How long?" I ask as we leave the apartment locking it behind us and getting in the car.

"Around an hour, " I groan while banging my head back on my seat.

"Where are we going?" I can't pinpoint where we could be going.

"You'll see. Trust me, baby, it's going to be worth it in the end, " he leans in and kisses me quickly before driving off to the secret destination.

Gripping the hot bottle in my hands I bring them towards my lips, hissing a bit at how hot the chocolate is. It burns my tongue but in a nice way.

He's definitely trying to keep me by his side that's for sure. I can see that it bothered him when I told him someone else is in the picture. What bothers me now though is to see whether he is trying because he's still in love with me or if he's trying because he doesn't want his ego to be bruised. I don't know what this fight is for anymore.

After a long hour, we have arrived at the destination which by the sound of calm waves hitting the shore and the immediate calmness it brings me, we're at the beach. He gets a thin blanket and the backpack he brought with us before reaching for my hand and intertwining our fingers.

I help him lay the blanket down on the sand and take a sit looking at him as he pulls out two glasses alongside chocolate cover strawberries. Impressive, I like it so far! He fills our glasses with our hot chocolate and gives me one.

"To us, " he whispers and takes a seat next to me.

"To us, " I repeat and touch our glasses together.

"Carter, can I ask you something?" I say whilst looking at the calm waves.

"Of course even though I'm getting the feeling that I won't really like it, " he isn't wrong, to be honest.

"Are you still in love with me?" I ask the question that has been roaming my mind lately.

It's just that, we've been together for 3 years now and we haven't been doing great for the whole of last year and I want to see if his feelings towards me change as well. I think that I might be even secretly hoping that they change just to be easier for me to make a choice.

"Oh, well I don't really know to be honest. I know that I love you and I care about you and I still want to see your face every day and hear you laugh and touch you. I'm not sure if this is classified as being in love with you but I do love you, you know what I'm trying to say?" He tries to emphasize on his words using his hand's whilst he keeps his eyes on the beach.

"Yeah I know what you mean, " I bite into the delicious strawberries.

"What about you? How are you feeling? I know that someone else is in your life or at least trying to get in but here you are still in my arms." He places his fingers under my chin and lifts my head so I'm nose to nose with him.

"I'm confused. I don't really know what to do or even say. I have mixed feelings and other things happening at the same time make it even more difficult for me to really realize what I want. What is best for me, for us, for all of us, " I say wanting to be honest with him.

"Do you love me?" he asks me.

"Yes, I love you, " I say grasping his cheek in my hand.

"Do you love him?" He asks.

"I don't know, " I say quietly shaking my head.

"Shouldn't that be the answer for you?" He says staring deep into my eyes.

"No, because there is a difference between loving someone and being in love with them, " I start saying leaning forward I kiss him.

"You love your family, you love your friends, your dog but you're not in love with any of them, " I continue on once I pull away from his lips.

"There is a big difference but their also other things to think about. Look at how our relationship has been going lately. Can we change the path it has been taking? Can we improve and move on? Or do we need to let go and move on? How is it going to be if we break up? Will, we still be friends? Can we be just friends? Are we going to miss each other? Or is the other persons love too strong? Is this worth fighting for? You need to see the good memories and bad memories. What stays in the end? There are so much more things to think about as well but tonight I don't want to think about them. I want to enjoy our 3 years together, we've been through a lot and I just want us to show our love for one another tonight, " I get a bit emotional I don't know why cause this isn't a goodbye. This is we'll see where it take us.

I lean forward and kiss him passionately.

Tonight I want to get drunk in his love.

A/N

Hey, guys, I hope you're all doing well!

What do you think of this chapter?

What do you think of Carter's gesture?

Do they have a future together?

Feel free to comment & vote!❤️

Have a nice day/night! Xx

All the love - M ❤️