deus ex machina

I had a breakdown about how much of this I've written.

If you include the original, I've probably written 150k of this story.

That's as many words as Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince...

Oh lord, all this time I've dedicated to this story... was it worth it?

FUCK YES AHAHAHSHADAKSGFADFAFSDGFSJGAAA

Also really important:

I removed the nearxmello I'm (not) sorry

It felt like incest...

Older me is ashamed of younger me euhgeuguegheghuhgh weird vibes.

Anyways you can re-read those chapters if you want I did edit them.

---

"Even if there is a God, and I had his teachings, I would think them through and decide if they were right or wrong for myself," says Nate. "You are no God. And you setting a path for all people to follow is neither peaceful nor righteous."

Light rolls his eyes. They glint as his gaze flickers to his watch.

"The notebook you have with you right now... and the one Aizawa brought with him. Are they both real?"

Nate squints.

"If you really want to defeat Kira, you should write my name or Mikami's in that notebook to see if it's real."

"Light Yagami, I have no plans to kill you. I really don't care whether this notebook is real or not, my goal was to capture Kira, and you're as good as arrested. Confiscating the notebook will be enough for now. I'll take full responsibility for locking you up in a place nobody will find you until you die."

Light's footsteps echo as he draws away from the group. "Well, whether it's real or fake, don't you think it's a good idea just to take a look at it?"

I nudge L, and Mihael catches my gaze.

"If that notebook is real..." Light obscures his arm, his shoulder twitches. "Or fake."

My stomach flips.

"He's hidden a piece of the notebook!" Rester cries.

I never realised just how quickly Matsuda had drawn his gun in this scene. It was in his hands in an instant, aimed at Light, and then, bang!

He must have completely snapped.

Blood explodes from Light's wrist, his body twists, flailing. He screams.

"Matsuda..." Aizawa stammers.

"Matsuda you idiot! Who do you think you're shooting at?" Light's voice cracks, it was high and scratchy like an evil person or maybe a dying cat or like a crow or something. "If you're going to shoot someone, shoot the others!"

"Wh-what was it all for?" Matsuda stammers. He raises his voice. "What did your father die for?"

"People like him always end up losing. Is that what you want - a world where people like him are made fools of?"

"You drove him to his death and now you're calling him a fool?"

"A world where people like my father won't be made into fools... he died to create that!" Light's face had contorted into an animalistic snarl. "I'm telling you to kill the others so his death was not in vain! Can't you understand that?"

Tears are leaking from Matsuda's eyes.

My whole body is ice cold, I'm trembling all over.

"He's using his blood!"