I don't even have a title hehehehehe

Sometimes I wonder how my life would be if I'd never met Damian and had this key.

I hold it in my hands, feeling the dents and small jewels.

What would I be doing?

Where would I be?

How would I feel?

Who would I love?

Well, the answer to that is simple.

No one.

And life without love is kinda miserable.

I've never questioned whether I made the right choice, and I never will.

It's irrelevant.

What matters is what's here and now.

And I have to stop wasting my day sleeping.

The first thing I become aware of is the fact that I still have Nate in my arms, who sleeps soundly.

Mihael is lying sideways across L and using my stomach as a pillow.

L is awake.

"Happy birthday," I whisper, turning my head to kiss his cheek.

He looks blankly at the ceiling. "Oh... thank you."

I grin.

He's so hopeless sometimes.

I had another nightmare last night... they've been more frequent in the recent weeks.

All of them ending in something I'm trying to prevent in real-life.

It's unnerving.

L frowns at me. "It's time to make a plan, Lola," he says.

【L】

Rem is being rather uncooperative.

She realises just how easy I could take advantage of her and Misa just to save L.

"If you trust Light, you'll be killed! There's no doubt about it," I say. "I don't understand what reason you have to be so sceptical."

Rem probably glares, but it's more the narrowing of her glowing fiery eyes. "That's exactly my issue with your plan, Misa wants to be with Light Yagami, and if your plan is to kill him that would cause her great misery."

"I know," I look into her eyes with as much sincerity as I can muster, "I understand exactly how she would feel, I'm basically in the same position."

That seems to shut her up.

L stirs his tea. "What our arrangement entails, is for my death to be staged, and for Misa not to be prosecuted, correct?" he asks the shinigami.

"That's right, all I want is for Misa to be happy," Rem agrees.

"And all I want is for L not to have to die for that," I say. "Anyway, if L dies I'm not going to try and save Light, so when he's killed at the end of the case Misa will commit suicide."

"And that is a fact?" Rem questions.

"Yeah," I say, "you should be able to see it on her lifespan, which should hopefully change if that situation can be avoided."

"I see..." the shinigami is silent for a moment, "then here is my proposal..."

I subconsciously take L's hand.

"You, Lola Ward, will, in exchange for the life of L. Lawliet, will ensure that nothing happens to Misa Amane before the legitimate end of her lifespan, otherwise I will hold you to blame," her voice is colder than ice.