Chapter 47 | closer look

Having read every single page in the death note, things finally started to make sense. All the rules lined up with kiras actions and how certain deaths were played out.

There was something bugging you though.

The death note user must continue to write within 13 days or the user will die.

That didn't line up. You knew that Light and Misa were the owners of death notes and the original kiras, you knew that for sure. You literally saw Ryuk several days after the case started. It was undoubtedly true that they were the original kiras. Not to mention the handwriting matched, there were fingerprints that matched too.

But if that rule was accurate then both Light and Misa should be dead. But here they were, alive and still lacking memories.

"Darling, come look at this" you said, holing the death note up to L.

He rolled his office chair over and looked over your shoulder at the book.

"This rule... if it were true then Light and Misa would be dead. But they're alive and we both know full well they're the original kiras" you explained, pointing to the rule.

L read it over and he became intrigued at the little puzzle you'd found to work out.

"That's true... so that rule is redundant. They're both still alive and they definitely owned this death note once. It's contradictory..." L replied.

"Almost like the rule is fake"

Taking the book off you, L grabbed a magnifying glass and looked it over closer in true detective fashion.

"The other rules look more worn and faded, this one is definitely new. It was added, written after the rest of the rules" L examined.

"Think Light planned it? He had Rem or Ryuk write that in when he gave up ownership in confinement? You know before we swayed the shinigami to our side" you asked.

"Definitely. He knew he'd be caught if he didn't have solid proof he wasn't Kira, so he faked it with the rule knowing we'd eventually find the death note. Unfortunately for him, he probably thought he'd have touched it and gotten his memories back by now. So we really did swoop in at the right time and grab it before he could, everything from the moment I challenged him on TV had been planned by him..."

You'd give Light credit for thinking of every tiny detail in this case and acting on it. But he was still a dumbass for not considering you'd grab the death note and not let him touch it.

"So we undoubtedly have evidence that Light and Misa are indeed the original Kiras, and Higuchi already confessed to being the Yotsuba Kira the other day. The only way there could be another one is if the other death note ends up in circulation but Light hid it and proceeded to forget where it is when his memory was wiped" you said.

"Indeed so... we could arrest him right here and now but we still need to hold up our end of the deal with the shinigami. Break him and Misa up" L replied.

That's right, looks like you'd have to wait a little while to perform the arrest. Well, maybe that was a good thing since you already had to deal with Higuchis trail, three trails at once would be one hell of a mess. At the end of the case, Light and Misa would be arrested anyway so a few weeks of refraining shouldn't do any harm. Especially since you had the death note and they didn't even remember it.

"Well, as sad as it is to see such a talented idol go to prison... she is still the second Kira. Maybe she'll find someone better than light in prison" L sighed, kind of bummed about the fact the idol he once liked was a prison bound killer.

"Even criminals in prison are better than Light... but honestly it's probably better for her to just stay away from relationships all together. She's always falling into the grasp of the wrong people" you replied.

You'd admit that Misas situation was saddening, but you couldn't let it sour the case. She was still a criminal. At least if she dumped Lights ass she'd be a little happier despite the incoming circumstances.

"So that's the plan then? We break them up then perform the arrest? It'll probably be easier anyway since we have to finish Higuchis trail too" L asked.

"That's the plan. You know usually I'd feel bad for breaking people up... but in this case.."

With how highly you and L valued love, especially your own love, you never really liked it when people broke others up. But you absolutely hated it when someone was abusive toward their partner. In those cases you had no mercy and would break them up in a matter of seconds.

The topic of relationships made your mind wander to the conversation you and L had the other night. About where yours was going.

Should you?

He did seem pretty enthusiastic about the idea of raising his own baby bat. But childbirth is painful... and kinda gross. But... it did mean you'd be able to give L a family, something he never had himself. You were still thinking about the suggestion, it was pretty life changing after all. What you were very grateful for though was how lenient L was about it. He suggested it, but since you'd be the one doing all the work for 9 months he's leaving the decision up to you and isn't trying to force you into making a decision.

God you loved him...

"L" you said.

"Hm?"

"You meant that the other night right?"

"Meant? Oh children? Yes I meant that. It's your choice at the end of the day I won't force you, don't feel pressured or anything. But it was a serious suggestion" he assured.

"You're really ready for that?"

"At this point in my life is seen it all and nothing can shake me now. Whatever life throws at me I'll just go with it. If it happens, it happens and I'll do my best to raise a baby bat of our own"

So he was sure huh? He'd said before that even though he didn't like kids, if it was his kid he'd love it to the moon and back. You didn't doubt he'd make a fun, protective, maybe a little quirky father. He'd probably be quite protective too. And like he said at the end of the day it was all on you, you had time to think about it. He wasn't going to force you.

Maybe when the case was over, maybe then you could finalise that decision.