Chapter 44: Make-Over

You have been told about Wanda's ability to read minds, but you have also been told she had promised not to do it without permission unless it was needed.

"What do you mean I'm easy to read?" You said with a frown, pulling your hands back and giving her a slight glare. She held her hands up defensively. "It means I have to concentrate to NOT read your mind sometimes," she said with a face.

You looked at her shocked "Since when?!" She hesitated, clearly not wanting to answer. She looked down and poked her fingers together. "... Since we met?"

You thought back to the first time you met Wanda... And your blush turned your face into a shade of scarlet. "OH NO!" She knew everything, didn't she?! You covered your face embarrassed.

"I never told anyone!" Wanda promised you quickly, rubbing your arms. "I'm sorry! I should have told you earlier, but it just never came up!" But you were shaking your head, not sure you could forgive this right now. It was a huge invasion of privacy, and while Wanda was like a sister to you, this was a bit too much.

"Wait here!" Wanda said seriously and rushed out.

Nat came over to you with a worried look. "Everything okay?" She rubbed your arms to look after Wanda.

"Well, apparently Wanda has been reading my mind since I got here!" You said, wanting to curl into a ball and hide under a rock.

Nat looked at you shocked. "What?" But she didn't get another word in before Wanda ran into the room again.

She held out a box for you. "I'm really really sorry! Please forgive me!"

You look at the box confused. Was she trying to bribe you with a gift to make you forgive her?

"Wanda, we talked about reading people's minds, didn't we?!" Nat said in a serious voice, making Wanda shrink like a child being scolded. "I didn't mean to really!" She said seriously, "I have been trying not to! Even asked Stephen to make this!" She said seriously, holding the box out to you again.

You looked at the box more intrigued down and softly took it from Wanda and opened it. Inside was a truly breathtaking piece of headpiece with sparkling pieces of jewelry.

You look at Wanda with big eyes, both confused and in awe. She quickly moved to your side and does a quick magical fix of your hair before putting it on you. It encircled your head and left a single star-shaped jewel on your forehead. "There!"

You touch your forehead and look at her mostly just confused now. "It's made to protect your thoughts!" Wanda said with a hopeful look. "I'm not the only person that has mind magic, and we didn't want you to be vulnerable if we went up against an enemy with mind powers!"

You raised an eyebrow at her. "So you can't read my thoughts now? Promise?"

Wanda nodded, tears in her eyes as she held out a pinkie. You could not help but smile as you locked your pinkie around hers. "Alright, I forgive, but don't dare spill any of my secrets!"

Wanda gasped relieved and hugged you. "You're the best!"

You smile warmly and touch the jewel on your forehead. "It's kind of big," you commented. This was not something you could wear in a casual setting without drawing some eyes.

Wanda made a face and nodded. "Yeah, Stephen was working on getting it smaller. Getting it to that size is already impressive! Better than a whole helmet."

Pepper clapped her hands. "Alright let's get back to girls' night!"

You let Wanda work on your nails. You knew you could not stay mad at her, and you had been more embarrassed than angry anyway.