57. Sign of the Times

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Chapter 57

Sign of the Times

Third POV

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Theo was sitting in front of the fireplace in the Artemis Cabin.

He didn't know how long he had been there, although he knew it was long. The afternoon sunlight had long since disappeared, and now the night sky had crawled in through the windows and nestled itself if Theo. The flames didn't do anything to help warm Theo up; he didn't feel anything when the flames occasionally sparked up and burnt his arms.

Theo felt like he was fighting a losing battle. He was fighting a losing battle. Destined to die, but Theo never really lived. Or at least a part of him did. But it didn't matter what part of him was alive because he was supposed to die. No, he was going to die.

But that wasn't the only losing battle Theo was fighting. He was fighting a battle within himself about a particular someone. He cared deeply about this person, but he knew the consequences. He didn't want to become like Romeo and Juliet or Paris and Helen, but perhaps he was; perhaps he was the tragedy he placed upon himself, and he would drag down the one he cared for the most with him.

Theo was staring so much into the fire that he was losing touch with reality. He didn't know if that was because of the ADHD his demigod self had or whether it was the flames themselves were hypnotising, how they flickered in the hearth when the tiniest bit of sudden air hit them and how their shadows got bigger on the walls making it seem that Theo was surrounded.

At this time, Theo noted that he was like fire, calm when contained, but when provoked, it could destroy. In the end, when there is nothing else for the fire to ruin, the fire dies; its greed to live kills not only others but itself.

A soft knock on the cabin door causes Theo to slowly draw out of his melancholy mood; without waiting for the occupant's response, the knocker opens the door. Theo didn't even have to look up to know it was. It was the same person who was plaguing him, floating around his mind like a leaf on a windy day.

Annabeth didn't know what to expect when she made her way over to the Artemis cabin; the kiss she shared with Theo was still making her heartbeat after all this time. Her lips were still tingling, missing the warmth of Theo's lips; she just hoped the warmth she craved won't scar her.