Part 27

"Just a little bit," Susan begs, "please Tris."

Susan and I are both getting ready for homecoming. Caleb asked Susan, so she decided to just get ready here. She already did her makeup before she came over, which was around 3. Seeing as the dance doesn't start until 8, and Tobias won't be here until 5:30 I don't know why she was so early. She did both of hair by 4:30 and I was glad she actually listened to me. Just a nice elegant ponytail, I'm surprised she listened. She did curl the ponytail a little but not much. Her hair was amazing, I'm surprised she did that herself. It is curly, but the curls are through the braid. I'm not sure how to exactly explain it. Now Susan is bothering me about makeup.

"How much?"

"Not much at all," Susan smiles, "I promise."

"Alright fine," I give in as Susan squeals.

For the next thirty minutes I have all sorts of brushes poking at my face. I know she put eyeshadow on, eyeliner, mascara, and blush. I didn't expect her to put on this bright red lipstick. I glare at her through the mirror but she just smirks. She lets me see myself and I'm actually a little shocked. I mean of course I still look like myself it's just weird seeing all this makeup on. It actually doesn't look terrible.

"Thanks," I tell Susan and she squeals.

"Lets get our dresses on," she says and goes to my closet. "I have a surprise for you."

"I love surprises," I say sarcastically as I grab my dress.

"I know," Susan laughs and starts to slide her dress on. I do the same and remember that my dad actually has to see this dress tonight. Oh boy.

I look at myself in the mirror and smile. It's kind of nice dressing up for a change, I mean at the end of the night I'll be complaining, but right now it's not so bad. I notice Susan is standing next to me looking at the both of us.

"We look hot," she smiles and we both laugh. "Oh the surprise!"

She runs over to her bag that is so freaking huge. She pulls out two boxes, shoe boxes. Oh great. I walk over to my bed and Susan lifts the tops off. There are two pairs of black heels. One with strap all the way down and the other gold stamps around the ankle and a black strap down the middle.

"These are yours!" She smiles and hands me the black heels with the crossing straps.

"How am I supposed to walk in these?" I ask picking one up. "These are like 5 inches!"

"You're fine," Susan rolls her eyes, "besides this completes the look."

So for the next twenty minutes until Tobias gets here, I argue with her about the shoes. She obviously ends up winning.

"Beatrice, Susan!" I head my dad call

"Beatrice, Susan!" I head my dad call. Time to go.

"Try not to fall," Susan smirks as we each grab our handbags. I just put my phone and wallet in it, Susan decided to put lipstick in it.

"Don't make me accidentally push you down the stairs," I reply.

"Someone's pmsing," Susan laughs and I glare at her.

"Shut up Susan," I hiss as she leaves my room.

She is already half way down the steps when I get down the first one. Okay go a little faster Tris, a freaking tortoise could beat you! I start to go at a faster speed which freaks me out. I need practice in heels before I actually wear them in public. About halfway down I finally got the hang of walking downstairs so I could walk normal, well as normal as you can in heels.

When I get in the living room dad is talking to Tobias and I roll my eyes. Seriously. "Andrew," mom scolds and he looks over at her. Tobias looks straight at me. He mouths something but I really couldn't tell what.

"You look gorgeous," Tobias smiles and kisses my cheek.

"You look quite handsome yourself," I smile.

He does look good, it felt really weird to say that. He's literally just in black dress pants, black button up, and a red tie.

My mom tells us to do the whole corsage and boutonnière thing. She takes pictures and Tobias and I laugh at how she acts. Susan and Caleb do it as well. Mom said that pictures won't take long and that it's only a few minutes away. The place is beautiful. It's the beginning of a hiking trail. I'm surprised this is in Chicago. Mom takes pictures on Tobias and I then Caleb and Susan. Mom tells us to do one more pose before the four of us take group pictures. I glance up at Tobias who has a smirk on his face. Next thing I know is I'm being picked up. I squeal and instantly wrap my arms around Tobias's neck. He's laughing and I rest my head on his shoulder from embarrassment. That squeal made me sound like a dying bird. Mom tells us to look at her so we both smile at the camera.

"You can put me down," I whisper and he shakes his head.

"I'm good," he says and I hit his chest.

"Come on Tobias," I whine and he chuckles.

"Alright fine," he says and places me back on the ground.

After that mom takes a few group pictures. Not much though because Caleb kept telling her he doesn't want to be late for his dinner reservations. Mom finally lets us go and Tobias and I go to his car.

"I thought you didn't have a car," I say getting in to the black Lincoln.

"It's my dad's," Tobias says before shutting the door behind me. "He said I could borrow it tonight."

"Why don't you have your own car?" I ask and Tobias shrugs.

"Never really needed one I guess," he tells me, "I've always lived close enough to the school and I have Uriah and Zeke."

"So you guys just have one car?"

He nods his head in response, "from what I've seen your family only has two."

"Caleb and I used to argue over who got the car back in Vermont, so mom and dad decided that if we wanted a car for ourselves we'd have to buy one," I explain and he nods.

"So you can drive?"

"Yes I can drive," I say a little offended. "Where are we going for dinner?"

"Just at Fredrick's Steakhouse,"he tells me. I may not have lived here for that long but I do know that is one of the most expensive places.

"You don't have to take me there," I tell him. "Honestly we could go to McDonald's."

"It's alright," he says glancing over at me, "I want to take you to the steakhouse."

"That place is really expensive Tobias," I say and he shakes his head.

"It's our senior homecoming," he tells me, "lets make the most of it."

With that he takes his right hand off the wheel and grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers. This shocks me but I just go along with it. I mean he didn't have to do that, we aren't even dating.