The Trial

Harley was sent to the ministry via floo network along with professor Snape on the day of the trial.
Harley was nervous, but Snape looked even more nervous.

Of course a random person might not realise that either of them were nervous, they acted way too calm for that, but they recognized the subtle fear and anticipation in each other.

Professor Snape placed an arm around her shoulder, offering her comfort while leading her to the place where the trial will be held .Harley was grateful for his presence. After Sirius, he was the only other parental figure she had.

Once they reached the chamber for it, a ministry official asked Harley to stay in a separate room while Snape was asked to go to the court room. Harley didn't understand why. They were both witnesses. It was understandable that her words wouldn't have the same value as that of the professors but why is she not allowed in the court ?

Harley could only come to one conclusion. They wanted to make her uneasy. And if that's what they wanted  she'd never give them that.

She had to calm down and get a grip on it. If she panicked too much she wouldn't be able to filter her thoughts, to hide things that should be hidden.
Lying would be easy of course but to hide memories? While people, who where professionals at it, searched through her mind ?Tough. But manageable.

Professor Dumbledore was believed that she could do it. It was infact the only instructions he gave her. Don't let the ministry find out that she's not a Black.
Apparently, She only had to keep the thought away from her mind when they went through it.

Sounds easy? Try actively not thinking of something. All you will be able to think would be that. It was the same for her.
Harley took deep breaths, trying to not think of anything at all.

With each breath she felt more at peace. They could certainly prove it to the council if they could convince the minister himself. She only had to let a couple of people probe through her mind, verifying that she wasn't lying. How hard can it be?

She was being stupid thinking too much. Sirius would laugh at her if she told him about her thought process later that day.
That's right by the end of the day Sirius would be with her. And everything would finally be alright.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Harley was clear headed when she was called into the courtroom. It was much different from her expectations. It was circular room built a bit like a Roman stadium, the people were sitting in a semicircle in their elevated seats, looking down at her —literally and metaphorically.

There was also a huge pool in the middle. It took up most of the space in the room leaving barely any space for someone to stand. It was filled with a clear water like liquid. She knew it was not water since she had 'common sense ' which most of the individuals she met seemed to lack.

As Harley stepped closer, two floating slabs of marble, each only big enough to accommodate a foot ,appeared in the liquid surface. The wizards who escorted her nudged her forward.

Harley tentatively placed a foot on one of them. It didn't float away or sink yet filled Harley with a sense of apprehension. Something was going on. Something she had no idea of. Harley took another breath, releasing the fists she had unknowingly clenched.

She placed her other foot on the next slab before the wizard could prode her again. Then she took confident steps forward, not looking behind or down to see what happens with the slabs. She looked right ahead at the spectators, her eyes unflinching from all the glares.

Once she was near the middle a circular slab raised out of the liquid .It wider than the others with about a metre diameter. Harley stood on it and looked up at to meet accusing or mistrusting eyes.

Some though merely looked entertained. Harley was disgusted by these people the most. To consider something that decided the course of life of a person as entertainment was simply sick.

There was a few seemingly special rows consisting of witches and  wizards in plum colored robes. They should be the judges– members of wizengamot.

Looking through everyone, it seemed that there wasn't a single familiar face. But she did find a few sympathetic ones. That put Harley more on the edge. What exactly was going to happen that she'd need sympathy?

A wizard in bright green robes walked up to her from the side. For him, a wider ,continuous, path had appeared. He gave her a small vial. Harley caught it's scent even before it was in her hands.

"Veritaserum" He said just as Harley recognized it as the truth potion.

Harley nodded to the man and chugged it in a go, not bothering to doubt it or be reluctant. They wanted her to drink and she'd have to drink no matter what. There was no point in resisting or denying that.

If anything her calm acceptance surprised the wizard as well as the audience . Good. That makes it two Harley, zero for the ministry.

Someone was calling out the name of all the dignitaries present, though Harley didn't focus, couldn't focus on it. Her head felt light, a strange warmth spreading through her, making her relax, creating an illusion of safety. Someone asked her something. She replied in affirmative without even processing the question.

'That was unlike me', Harley thought , 'to speak without thinking '.She felt a bit like she was drunk. Drunk. She snapped back into her senses. She was acting as a witness for Sirius's trial and had drunk the truth serum whose effects had affected her.

She blinked twice and stood straight. She had slumped a moment ago under the effects of the potion. She was still under it of course. She knew she couldn't lie, but at least she had her wits.

Then a bald man with a few strand of dark hair combed across his head -a member of wizengamot- stood up clearing his throat. His eyes locked into her's. And then the questioning started.