Chapter 23(A)

NANDINI:

Wrapping a long strand around curling wand, I glanced up at my reflection on the mirror. The thick mascara on my lashes, the tinted moisturiser along with the luscious fuchsia on my plump lips gave me a defined look. If I had to admit then yes, I fucking nervous to face Manik and for the first time in life I wanted God to prove me wrong because had the contrary been happening then it would mark the end of brotherly relationship between Manik and Cabir which would happen with my own hands. God, what did I get myself stuck in? I let my curled hair false loosely till my waist and ran fingers through them for smoothening the made-up look. I stood up from the stool and smiled faintly seeing my appearance; more or less impressive in that black tight full sleeve laced round necked top pairing it with a super skinny dark black ripped denim. Walking up to my closet, I pulled a multi coloured printed stole and carefully draped it.

I sighed looking at the wall clock which displayed the time 6:35pm and pulled the shiny new phone out of the handbag which I got myself after my phone got damaged last night. When Randhir touched my shoulder, in the apprehension I dropped my phone and that's how I had to get myself a new one for my job required me to have one sticking to my ass 24*7. I held the old cracked phone in my grip and ran through the contact list and few important mail contacts which I couldn't afford to lose and kept saving the same in my new one. I took the chapped sim out but worthless to mention, it was dysfunctional and thus I inserted the new sim provided by my office the day. Practically, I was killing time not wanting to drag myself to deal with the horrendous crossroad of my life where I stood. The sudden insanity of my old phone captivated my attention as the volume was turning positive and negative without being touched and the screen ghostly ran up and down. I slapped the phone a couple of times while it showed 'Media Loading' and I realised it was time to bid it bye and thus tossing it back on my bed, I switched the light off grabbing the keys planning to book myself a cab. I was about to shut the door to my bedroom behind me when instantaneously I sucked up a sharp breath.

"No! Don't."

"Drop it off!"

I clutched the cloth at the centre of my bust as I heard sounds coming out of my phone that I left behind; worth mentioning that I could recognise the shrill tone to be mine.

In the darkness of the room, I felt the radiant light coming from the phone to be prominent and shakily as I advanced towards my bed, knots formed right in the pit of my stomach.

I never realised that all this while I was carrying the most vital proof with me. It was a clip; clip of that unlucky night. I shuddered palming my mouth as I brought the phone up near my chest and my eyes grew bigger as the helpless cries of the stabbed man was haunting me afresh. I looked around in my dead room to find myself a support to stand and parted my lips as I felt congestion inside my lungs. This was the last thing I wanted to see as if... as if God just heard me and mocked to prove me wrong at the next very moment. My heart raced a million miles per beat as I again saw the hooded man there on the clip. I knew I couldn't be so wrong. I just...knew it. But I was not understanding how ugly the things were getting; uglier perhaps. It was MADDY.

The quality of the clip was not very nice because of my hands constantly shaking in fear and me being stood behind a pavement but whatever it was... good enough to prove to a blind even that the murderer was none other than Cabir's brother, Maddy.

God.

"Why me?" I sat on the bed holding my forehead and feeling myself drenched in sweat; absolutely needless to turn on either the light or fan.

Biting my thumbnail, I kept walking to and fro in my short room not grasping anything. For a second I thought I would throw up or I was feel nauseous but then the next moment fear and tears took me. No matter what, for the call of justice I had to give in to the call of my destiny irrespective of what it had in store for me.