Chapter 42

This love is tainted
I need you and I hate it
You're caught between a dream and a movie scene
In a way, you know what I mean

When the darts just miss, I just can't resist it

'Cause I'm a fool for you
And the things you do
I'm a fool for you
And the things, the things you do
The things you do
The things you do

Zayn's voice blasted in the stereo of the cab while rolling the glass down, I allowed the wind to blow my hair. The huge bag of files was sitting beside me on the seat as my mind rehearsed all the things I could tell him. What was I supposed to start with? With asking how he was feeling this morning or- or, straightaway with the work? Would he notice the effort I did put in while getting ready just for him? Would he notice the blue coloured knee-length dress I was wearing and the heels which were absurdly high? Would he notice that I let my hair down and the bright pink colour coating my lips? Would he?

By the time, I stepped down the cab, I glanced over my wristwatch to make sure I wasn't a second late to 11 am. I have seen this man a hundred times before but why then this sudden giddiness? Honestly, I knew his feelings towards me were nothing closer to mine but all I believed was that, this man although pretended yet was scared to be lonely like everyone else.

Fixing the ends of my hair with fingers, I pulled the heavy bag up carrying it past the gate of the mansion. Funny, the guards now recognised me so well that stopping me there was never a question.

I was standing looking everywhere around in awe as the entire mansion was filled with bouquets of different kinds of enchanting flowers; their fragrance dancing on my senses. Cards and gifts covered majority of my vision and like a stupid, I was revolving slowly to observe every single of them. This mansion, although I entered before, never seemed as alive as this morning being decorated like a bride which made someone's arrival all the more special. I, mentally took note that for however long I was working with him in his house, to not touch a single thing considering the clumsy girl I am.

"Ms.Murthy?" I spun to find Iris standing there in her usual uniform. How could I forget her, after all, during my little sickly stay in this mansion she was the one who took care of me day and night.

"Hi Iris. How are you?" I grinned and her smiling eyes moved to the heavy bag I dropped on the floor.

"I'm good. How are you?" She tried staying calm but something about her was screaming that she was jumpy.

"Good." I nodded with a smile. "Um is he around?"

"Uhh Ms.Murthy, sincerely, I believe this isn't quite a good time to see him." Her eyes traversed towards the corner room across the corridor whose door was shut.

Skeptic, I assured. "Don't worry. It's he only who asked me to work with him today. There shouldn't be a problem."

She took a good whole minute to contemplate as her eyes kept moving to and fro with a precaution before she tentatively, bobbed her head trying to replace the anxiety on her face with composure.

Soon as she nodded, leaving the bag there I proceeded towards the room she indicated. Even though I was one hundred percent sure that he wasn't going to lash out at me but finding her rooted to the same place with worry washing over her face made me doubt my confidence. Fiddling with my hands and pulling my dress lower as I was nearing the room, I won't lie but there were weird noises coming out of it; nonetheless which heightened my curiosity. I swear, if Manik was exerting himself instead of the doctors forbidding him, he was going to have it from me.