-22-

Felicity

I found out that Martina, the maid, was a mindblowing cook. Purely mexican, she probably knows how to cook every cuisine. She was in her late 30s and already was a mother of four kids.
From all the stories she fed me with, I could tell she was a kind of mother that never stops her children to have fun but also who never hesitate to raise her hand if they cross the line. A fun lovingly strict mother.

"This is so amazing" I moaned while eating her signature chicken rice casserole. I could tell it was one of the best dishes I've ever tasted and I'm very foody, so I've tasted many dishes.

She smiled sweetly while thanking me and carried on telling the recipe for her another signature dish. I stuffed my mouth with another full spoon while listening to her.

When she scolded me to be careful, I only smiled goofily. But my smile stopped when I heard powerful footsteps entering the dining area. Though I was facing my back to the person, I knew who it was.

"Sir, please take your seat. I'll serve your plate" Martina's behaviour totally changed from friendly to professional, which made me realise how this man only knows business.

'Still you managed to make yourself look like a fool while sleeping through that meeting'

I didn't heard him replying, maybe because he only nodded. He walked towards my left and sat down on the arm chair at the foot of the table; just three seats away from me.

All of a sudden I started feeling self conscious. I was very embarrassed after my sleeping incident and was planning how to apologise. The air around me got tense and in that stress, I again stuffed a spoonful of food inside my mouth.

"No need to rush. I'll drop you" he didn't looked directly at me but I know he was talking to me.

I looked at him in surprise because he wasn't sounding angry or frustrated. But he was calm, collected, smooth just like his usual self; almost making me think I did nothing stupid today.

As he fixed his napkin on his lap in a formal style, I glanced down at my lap while chewing my food and gulped down the content in embarrassment for lack of manners. This man knows proper etiquettes.

"Thank you but there's no need. I'll book a cab" I tried to turn down his offer softly but one look from him told me that he'll not listen to me.

"I'll drop you. Now finish your dinner" he stated firmly.

And with that we fell into a comfortable silence. Comfortable because he was busy eating and I was busy thinking about how to start my sorry speech.

Few minutes later, we both were finished with our dinners and I was ready to leave. I thanked Martina again and asked my leave.

When me and Asher walked out of his house, I noticed a familiar car standing outside. Then I remembered it was the same SUV from that first night. That murder night.

My steps slowed down and he seemed to notice the worry in my face. So being a gentleman, he walked upto the passanger side and opened the door for me. I moved my eyes from his head to the open door.

'Some things do bring back memories'

"Come on Miller. You've travelled in her before. Nothing happened right?" He said in a teasing manner with a smirk playing on his lips while refering to that night.

'He's teasing me. Again'

I huffed under my breath and scrunch my nose slightly in annoyance while rushing my steps to the passanger seat. I sat inside and didn't looked at him as he closed my door and walked towards his side.
As soon as he placed himself inside, he started the engine and drove off of his property.

After covering some distance, I decided to open my mouth.

"How are Clara and the baby?" I asked softly.

I was afraid that he might not answer me and only will dismiss me with a nod. But he did answered.

"Good. Just exhausted" he replied. Not much but better than a silent nod.

"Ummm.. I.. I'm sorry. For today. For sleeping in the meeting. I swear I didn't wanted to but it just.....it just happened" I flinched hearing my stupid reasoning as I timidly finished my explanation.

This time he didn't said anything. Just a single nod. That silent nod.

I sighed and looked out of the window. Though I never told him my address, we were going in the right direction to my apartment.
I was surprised but very slightly. First because I did saw him down my street one day, so maybe he remembered it. Second, I'm hundred percent sure he did a background check on me.He's my freaking boss. He knows everything about me from the very start.

So I didn't even bothered to waste my energy while asking how does he know my address.

As we neared our neighborhood, he threw me the most unexpected question.

"Who dropped you yesterday?" He demanded the question.

"Hm?" My attention snapped back at him as I moved my eyes from the window to face him.

"With whom you left yesterday's party?"

"Oh it was Elijah"
"Who gave you permission to leave?"

"Pardon?" I frowned.

"When I said you'll be organising the whole event, I meant from very start to the last. You left all you works before the last guest left, ordering others to wrap up everything in your place. That too, without informing me"

My mouth fall apart in shock at his accusation.
"Sorry for sounding rude sir. But when I left the venue, only very few guests were there. Everyone left the event early. You left quite early".

"What made you think I was gone? I was there Felicity, I never left. Try to look around you, even when you have company" voice laced with annoyance, this time he turned to face me and looked directly into my eyes.
Suddenly the flashback of the moment came in my mind when I noticed that figure - looking just like him - in my rear view mirror. It was him. I wasn't wrong.

I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. I was speechless.

Because deep down I know he was right. I did looked around the hall for him yesterday but I never searched. I made the assumption 'he might have left' on my own. Maybe because of my frustration or the twinge of envy I felt while looking at his family.

So what was I even suppose to say than? That I'm sorry for leaving the party early? Sorry for not 'wrapping' it up by myself? Sorry for nearly ditching you after the event but who am I to you though?

Nothing. Just silence. No one said anything. Even the engine made no noise.

'Wait. The engine's stopped?'

I looked out of the window and saw my apartment building standing. When I finally decided to say something, he cut me.

"Be ready with the rearranged documents tomorrow. I want them before 3. And for Johnson's meeting, contact their assistant and prepare the file. I want everything on my desk tomorrow. No excuses Miller" he bossy side returned.

"Y-yes sir" saying this, I opened the door and got out of his car. Turning towards him again, I said, "Thank you again for the ride Mr Knight. Goodnight"

Again that silent nod and in few seconds, he drove off out of my sight.