Part 10 - Is This Love?

Part of you likes him.

You shove Camilo off. He looks hurt. For real this time.

"Sorry," you mumble. Camilo looks at you.

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that." But some light, a gleam in his eyes that was there before, fades away. 

"No, it was fine. I didn't mind."

You feel a heat rush up your cheeks. Camilo smirks again. Next thing you know, you are lying on the ground, with Camilo on top of you. "Get off."

"How about.. no?"

"Get off me, Madrigal, or I will make you wish you were never born."

Camilo stares at you. "Say please," he instructs. 

"Please, Camilo."

Camilo stands up. You sit up. "I'm sorry," Camilo starts to say. What is up with this boy? 

"Don't do it again," you say. You try to keep the coldness out of your tone, because something about Camilo just... 

No. You can't think like that. "So, any news on Mirabel?" you ask casually.

Camilo shakes his head. "Um..  conejita. I need to ask you something."

He starts to blush. You look at him. "What?"

"Um.. conejita. Me gustas mucho. ¿Quieres ser mi novia? (I really like you. Will you be my girlfriend?)"

You feel yourself start to blush. "Camilo, what? You literally just pushed me to the ground and refused to get off me!"

It all starts to make sense. Everything he has done, he did it because he liked you. Ironic.

Camilo looks at you, silently pleading. You think about it. "Okay, fine. I like you too."

You've liked Camilo since you were four. Creepy, yes, but you never realized it. You feel like a heavy burden has been lifted from your chest. 

Camilo gleefully twirls you around. "You are mi conejita."

Dolores opens the door. "Eeek!" she squeals. "I knew you two were in love since Camilo tricked you, y/n. He would shapeshift into you for hours! And you wrote songs about him! But neither of you knew it was love!"

You and Camilo both look at each other. Dolores claps a hand over her mouth. "Creep," you both say in unison. Dolores giggles.

"When do you want me to tell everyone?" she asks.

"Dolores!" Camilo protests. "Just tell everyone to have dinner tonight."

"When Mirabel finds out," you start. You freeze, remembering Mirabel isn't here. Camilo looks at you. 

"We'll find her," Camilo reassures you.

You hope so.

That night, you sit beside Camilo at the dinner table. You start to tremble with worry. He squeezes your hand. "Ahem," Abuela Alma says, clearing her throat. "Camilo has an announcement."

Camilo takes a breath. "Y/n is my girlfriend."

A gasp goes around the table. Pepa grows a large rainbow over her head. "My son has a girlfriend!" she squeals. 

You spend the rest of the dinner making small talk with the Madrigals. After the dinner, Camilo walks you home. "Night, conejita."

"Night, Camilo."

You open your door. Your dad is waiting for you. "I heard you had news?" he asks. You nod. Your mother sits down on the sofa, and beckons for you to come over.

"Dolores informed us you were making a big announcement. What is is, dear?" your mother asks.

You hesitate. "I'm.. I'm dating someone."

Your father looks at you, outraged. "Who?"

You take a breath. "Camilo, papa."

Your mother takes a breath. "I thought you didn't like him? I thought he was annoying?"

"No, mama. I do like him."

Your father starts to say something, but your mother silences him, "I trust your judgement, y/n."

"I don't!" your father roars. You bang your head onto your knees. "Fine. But if he hurts you..."

"Okay, okay. I get it," you say. Your mother nods and allows you to go to your room.

You open the glass doors to your balcony, and look outside. You hope Mirabel is okay. You sit on your bed, leaving the glass doors open. Since the breeze is cool, you turn your back to the doors. 

You pull out your sketchbook. You flip through drawings of Casita, drawings of Mirabel, drawings of the forest, and other random whims you drew. You turn to a blank page, and start sketching Camilo.

His greenish, hazel eyes. His curly hair. His freckles. His smirking, playful face. You draw it with all the feeling in your heart. 

You feel a breeze. "You make me look even more handsome," someone smirks. You sigh.

"Camilo?" you ask. "What are you doing?"

Camilo puts his hand on your shoulder. "I saw your window was open. I have an idea."

You groan. "Oh no."

Camilo pretends to be hurt. 

"Conejita, lets go find Mirabel."