Part 24 - One Candle Please

"Camilo," you say, "I think I know what he is looking for. And how to stop him."

"Alright, everyone. We need to protect the miracle candle," you call to the villagers. You hear a wave of consent wash over the villagers. They start to file out. Camilo runs up to you.

"What?" he asks. You give him an I-know-what-I'm-doing-don't-mess-things-up  look. He nods and disappears into the crowd. Your father, standing beside you, looks at you solemnly.

"Are you sure this will work?" he asks.

"I know it will work."

Your father nods and follows Camilo. You turn into one of the market stalls and assume your position. You brush your hair out of your eyes.

Alejandro, Isabela's boyfriend, stops in front of the vendor. "Hey, y/n," he smiles. You return his smile.

"Hi, Alejandro! Watcha need?"

"I need a candle. It's the decoy for the plan we've made. Can't believe we have nine days to save the village from attack."

You nod and produce a candle from the basket beneath your feet. "I'll come with you," you say. Alejandro shrugs and makes his way towards Casita. 

"Casita, get us up there," Alejandro says. Casita forms a ladder with it's railings. "So," Alejandro continues, "Juan talks about you a lot."

You groan. "I'm with Camilo. Tell him to back off."

Alejandro nods. The two of you reach the top of Casita, and stand on the roof near the candle. You grab the miracle candle from its high perch, and cradle it in your hands. 

Alejandro touches the candle. He then moves his hand and stops it over his candle.

Suddenly, the Madrigal candle starts to flicker. And, to your horror, it goes out.

Lighting Alejandro's candle.