Part 25 - Planned

Suddenly, the Madrigal candle starts to flicker. And, to your horror, it goes out.

Lighting Alejandro's candle.

"Luisa!" you scream. Alejandro grabs your hand and twists it. You scream in pain, dropping the Madrigal candle. The Madrigal candle lights up again, and falls down into the hands of... Juan?

"Juan," Alejandro calls. "Hermano. Take the candle to the spot and wait for the others."

Others? You look down into the courtyard. "Juan, please," you call. "Don't listen to him. Get the candle to Alma."

Juan stands there, torn. You hear footsteps. You see Luisa. "Juan, go!" Alejandro yells.

"No! Luisa, Juan's got it!"

Luisa turns to Juan. Alejandro twists your arm even further, pulling you away. You scream. "Juan!" Alejandro yells. 

Juan shakes his head and runs off into the kitchen. You hear Julieta exclaim. Everything is turning out. Finally. "Juan's giving Julieta the candle. It's over, Alejandro."

Alejandro smirks at you. "Not quite."

And then he jumps off of the roof. 

You hear Luisa scream. This is it. You will be taken to the Seeker, and killed. A chill passes through your body as you realize your fate.

You are done. 

Alejandro knocks your head. You pass out, due to the blow.

Muffled voices wake you from your slumber. You pull your eyes open, even though they feel like marble. "Camilo?" you croak.

"Shh," is your response. "You're going to be alright." You look around to see Camilo and Mirabel huddled beside you. They propped you up against a tree. To your embarrassment, you notice Camilo's ruana is draped over you, like a blanket. Rain pours down and splashes in puddles surrounding you. You notice Mirabel smirking at the ruana. You hadn't told her about you and Camilo dating, but she obviously found out.

"What happened?" you manage to ask. Mirabel glances at Camilo. You notice a stain on Camilo's shirt. "Is that... blood?"

"Y/n. Nobody else knew where Alejandro went. 'Cept Juan. He told us. So we ran after you guys. That's why it's raining. Pepa's worried. We found you guys, and um..."

"I beat Alejandro up," Camilo finishes for Mirabel. "Broke his nose," he continues, gesturing to the blood on his shirt.

You nod and force a smile.

But nothing is right anymore. Nothing is safe. Nowhere is safe. 

You ignore this feeling, and lean against Camilo's shoulder. "I'm scared," you whisper.

You close your eyes and sink into a well-deserved, peaceful, natural sleep.

_____________

Author's Note:

TYSM for almost 2k reads! It means a lot to me! Also,  if your wondering, I have so many more ideas for this book, so it'll be on for awhile.