Part 14 - A Big Mistake

And you have no idea how to do that.

Blood rushes to your head as you turn upside down, lying off of your bed. "Hmm?" you call. Your mother sighs.

"Y/n," she yells, "the Madrigals want you."

You inwardly groan as you throw a dress over your head. Trudging through the puddles of water, you make your way to Casita. Knocking on their door, you fix your h/c bird's nest into a ponytail. "Hey," Luisa says cautiously, opening the door. You grin.

"Hey, Luisa!" Luisa fidgets with her hands. 

"Abuela wants you," she directs. You nod and step past her into the foyer of Casita. You follow Luisa to Abuela Alma's room, on the top floor. Alma looks at you as Luisa opens the door. Softly closing it behind her, Luisa leaves you to Alma.

"Hello, y/n," she says in a formal tone. You smile.

"Hola, Senora Alma!" Alma scowls at your happiness.

"I have... had word that you have been working with the person who has kidnapped my Mirabel. Is this true?"

"No-no?" you stutter, visibly confused. Why would she think that?  you ask yourself. What did I do, and who told her?  "Who told you I had?"

Alma rolls her eyes. "A man who called himself your tío. He said he has been worried for you, because you have been mysteriously leaving the house."

You glance at her, outraged. "My tío doesn't even live with us! Ask my parents!"

"I did ask them, y/n. They said he doesn't live with you, but that you do keep leaving the house mysteriously. Using Casita as your excuse, but most of the time I don't even see you here." You freeze. 

"Senora Alma, please," you plead. Alma raises her hand. 

"I know you have been through a lot recently, so I will not punish you in any way other than this: stay away from mi familia. Stay away from Casita." You gasp out loud. 

"Please," you plead, tears burning your eyes. Alma shakes her head.

"Leave Casita at once," she says coldly. You nod, meekly leaving the house. Tears stream down your eyes once you reach the safety of your bedroom. You spend the rest of the day in your room. 

When the moon is up, and your parents are asleep, you open your balcony doors, staring at the moon. Tears flow down your face. I want to see Camilo, you think. 

You leave your doors open, and pull out your sketchbook. You draw the cave, and the mysterious man. Your thoughts drift to Camilo, and you draw him again. 

"So," you hear. You turn your head. You completely forgot that Camilo had the nerve to climb onto someone's balcony. You don't actually want him to see you. Your heart skips a beat.

"Why did you pretend to care? Why did you go looking for Mirabel? And why did you go so far as to pretend you got stabbed? What is wrong with you!?"

Those words stab your heart. You melt into the shadows, tears threatening to burn their way through your eyes. "Camilo," you plead. "I didn't fake anything."

Camilo looks at you. "Yeah, right. I can't believe I trusted you."

"Please, Camilo. Listen."

Camilo stops. "Fine. What's your excuse."

"Every time I so-called left the house mysteriously, I was coming to meet you, right? I had nothing to do with Mirabel's disappearance. My tío was trying to frame me. Please, Camilo. He couldn't kill me, so he tried to get rid of me another way."

Camilo's face softens. He exhales in relief. "I believe you, conejita. I knew he was lying, but Abuela was so convincing, and I didn't want her to be mad at me. Forgive me, conejita?"

Camilo sits beside you. You lean sideways into his ruana. He puts an arm around you.

"I forgive you. Tomorrow, let's continue the search. For Mirabel."