Part 11 - Search Party

"Conejita, lets go find Mirabel."

"You're not serious?" you ask. But you know the answer.

"Come on, conejita, I want to find her as much as you do," Camilo pleads, running his hand through your hair. You sigh.

"Okay. Fine." You fold a blanket and hand it to Camilo. He smirks at you. You smirk right back at him. He smiles.

"Finally rubbing off on you." You glare. Camilo laughs. The two of you sneak out of your house. "Where to, my lady?"

You shove him playfully. "We should check the cave. Mirabel might be there." Camilo nods and bows. "Stop, Camilo. I preferred when you called me conejita."

"Okay, conejita."

You lapse into a silent rage. When the two of you reach the cave, you almost collapse in exhaustion. "It's closed," you pant. Camilo notices. 

"Hey," he says, "we can rest."

You nod and fall forwards, right into his chest. He catches you. "Time to sleep," he says. He grabs the blanket and helps you lay down. Lowering himself beside you, he wraps the blanket around the two of you. Your shoulders touch. 

You lean against Camilo and fall asleep.

Strangely, you have no dreams that night. You wake up and hear a snap. You sit up. Camilo turns to face you. "Conejita, what?" he asks groggily. 

"I heard something?" you half-ask.

"You sure it wasn't your dream?"

"I didn't have a dream."

Camilo stands up. He gathers up the blanket, and follows you, going in the direction of the sound. 

You reach a turn. Without looking back, you turn. When you spin around to find Camilo, he isn't there. "Camilo?" you ask. You hear a footstep. "Dolores?"

A cloaked figure comes to stand in front of you. "Tío?" 

The figure smiles. "Yes, y/n. Yes."

You spot something in his hand. Your tío is holding a dagger. You put your hands in front of you. "What is going on?"

Tío holds the dagger as if to strike. "I'm sorry, y/n. I really am." You turn around and run.

That was the biggest mistake of your life. Seeing his opportunity, tío throws the dagger.

It hits you. Right in the back.

_____

Author's Note:

Short yet dramatic chapter. Just have to wait to find out what is next! hehe.