15 • Investigation

-
I breathed nervously behind Mirabel as we sneaked into the Casita to head to Bruno's tower. I was about to continue on walking when Mirabel quickly stops me.

"Such a perfect match."

"So perfect."

"And so good for the Encanto."

Abuela Alma and Isabela walks past us, I heaved a breath. She silently chuckles at me before her amused expression turned into shock.

I nervously looked behind me, seeing Camilo holding a half eaten Arepa while staring at us with a raised eyebrow. Oh sh-

"Camilo! what.. what are you doing?"

Mirabel nervously chuckles, trying to play off our attempt to sneak into Bruno's tower. Camilo hums, finishing his last bite of arepa.

"I think I should be the one asking you that, What are you two up to?"

He asks, looking at me before glancing at Mirabel.

"W-we.. uhm.."

Mirabel looks at me, as if she's asking for help. I sighed, standing up straight and walking over to Camilo to pull him closer.

"We're going on a Mission to Investigate something."

I whispered, which seemed to intrest him.

"Really? I wanna come too!"

He says, looking over at Mirabel who only groaned in annoyance. I shrugged, a bit amused. I wonder what his reaction will be if he finds out we're going to his Tío Bruno's tower.

"Yeah yeah, okay fine, let's go before anyone else sees us."

We quickly sneaked out of the staircase and to the stairs which lead to Bruno's door.

"Wait.. where are we going? Here?"

Camilo asked, nervousness could be heard from his voice. Mirabel nodded, answering his question.

Mirabel shoves open Bruno's door, revealing a dusty, dim room. In front of us, sand spilled in from above,creating a curtain of sand.

Mirabel walks in, followed by me and Camilo.

"I'm scared.."

I breathed quietly, Camilo looks at me and strokes my back to try and assure me that it was okay. What if we see Bruno? What if he never actually left?

Mirabel walks over to the curtain of sand, running her hand through it.

"Casita? Can you.. turn off the sand?"

Nothing happens. Mirabel looks back to where she can see Casita's floor tiles at the doorjamb. Casita only moves the tiles outside the door, it can't help in the room.

"You.. can't help in here?"

She sadly asked, the house seemed to reply "no, and I'm worried about you." Mirabel shooks her head.

"I'll be fine. I need to do this, for you, for Abuela... maybe alittle for me."

Mirabel says, holding my hand. I grabbed Camilo's hand as we walked over to the sandfall.

"Find the vision, save the mira- AH!"

As we stepped through the sandfall we... fell. I lose my grip to Mirabel and Camilo's hand as we fell and rolled onto the sand.

I groaned, immediately sitting up to check on the two, only to be mesmerized by the towering room we were in.

"Whoa.."