[8] While In The Waiting Room...

"Oh, wow!" You sound, entering your temporary quarters, even if the room is close to empty besides two pieces of furniture, you can't help but express excitement. "This is nice!" You leap onto the bed and stretch out like a starfish. Sitting up, you notice the group of shy guys nearby watching. You smile and wave your fingers. "Thank you, guys!" 

Their shyness overwhelms them, causing them to depart quickly.

You chuckle, falling back onto the bed and gazing at the ceiling.

What will become of me from here on out?

After the adrenaline rush the Koopa King caused, you feel the exhaustion creep in. You close your eyes, hoping to find some rest. 

Soon enough, you were fast asleep. 

As you drift off, you find yourself in a dark, desolate void with nothing in sight. It was an eerie sensation, but something caught your eye - a green pipe, just like the ones you'd seen and used countless times in the Mushroom Kingdom. 

A bright light emerges from the pipe, illuminating the area around it. As the ray dims, you can't believe what you saw. 

A superstar..?

"Hey, you! Wake up!"

A voice startles you and yanks you away from your nap. Your reflexes kick in, your eyes shoot open, and you punch the person calling out to you.

A clean cut across their face.

Bowser's face.

You cover your mouth with both hands. "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!"

The man groans in pain. "Geez!" He clenches his jaw. "What was that for?!"

"You scared me, that's what! Who wakes someone up like that?!" You react by grabbing a nearby pillow. "Haven't you heard of knocking?!" And throwing it at him, fully aware of your actions and words.

"Need I remind you where you're staying at, my castle! I go and enter wherever I please!" In response, he slams his fist down on the bed, causing it to spring up and down.

"That sounds like something an overbearing dad who doesn't respect boundaries would say!" You imitate his previous action. "What if I was naked, huh?!" You retort, turning the argument against him.

"Why would you be naked?!"

"To change! And why is it any of your business if I'm naked or not?!" You question his behavior.

As a result, Bowser's face turns bright red, including his ears, and he backs away. "Be quiet! That's not the point!"

A knock on the door interrupted the argument.

"Yes?" You got up and pushed Bowser out of the way. 

Opening the door, you see Kamek standing there. "My apologies. I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"

"No! Not at all!" Bowser butts in, pushing you this time. "What is it, Kamek? This better be important."

"We found the coordinates of..." He pauses, creating a star shape with his hands.

Bowser's eyes widen a bit, and his former exterior shifts. "Is that so?" Turning to look at you briefly before turning away. "Stay here until I get back. We can discuss what your proposed duties will be."

"Wait, but what about-?"

Bowser whips around and towers over you. "Stay. Here." The man states and exits without saying another word, slamming the door behind him.

What a hot head...

I still love him, though.

You roam around the room waiting for a few minutes, then poke out your head to see if anyone is guarding the room, and your suspicions are correct when two Koopa guards stand on each side of the door. The guards look at you, raising a brow. 

"Can you two help me with something?"

~       ~       ~

"What's this about the star?" Bowser talks as the magician walks alongside him.

"We finally found it! It's located in the Cool, Cool Mountain region being held by the penguins and their king."

Bowser chuckles evilly and stops. "I say we pay them a visit. It's been a while too."

"Yes, sire! I'll tell the army, and we can leave as soon as possible! But what about (F/n)?"

"She can wait. This can not. If she's smart, she'll stay put like I told her to."

Meanwhile...

"Do you think dark red or black suits this better?" You ask one of the Koopa guards, holding two sheets of said colors in each hand for your current project.

They thought about it, eyes shifting back and forth at each choice. "Probably black since its hair is already a red color. It would contradict it." 

"You're right! You have a good eye." You express, digging into your bag for black yarn.

"Well, thank you..." The guard blushes and looks away.

"Say, what was this room before this?"

"A nursery." The other guard at the doorway, actually doing his job, spoke up. "That was a few years ago. Now, it's used for occasionally storing items." They point to the closets in the corner of the room. 

"That's neat! Good thing the room didn't become abandoned completely."

They scoff. "I wouldn't say that either. The young master comes in here periodically."

You glance up from your bag. "By young master, do you mean Bowser Jr.?"

The guards stare at one another. "You're aware of the child?"

You nod happily. "Of course! He's so cute! He looks almost like a mini version of his father."

"You have no idea..." The one in front of you mumbles.

"I can only imagine. Where is he anyway?" You ask curiously. "I haven't seen him."

"He tends to go out frequently. Only when Bowser allows it."

"Wow, that's a lot of trust, considering Bowser's always bothering Princess Peach. It's like he's not around often..." You shrug. "But who am I to say? I just got here."

"I think it's the trust they have when it comes down to it. In the end, they're all they have..."

Your interest piques. "To have had Junior, there must have been someone to bear him, right? Who was it? Did Bowser have a partner?"

They raise their hand, detaining you from speaking any further. "Sorry, telling you that information is not in our jurisdiction. You'll have to ask the king on his own time, and that is if he wants to talk about it."

There's always more than meets the eye...

You sigh in defeat, not wanting to push the conversation. "Fair enough..."

Suddenly, a loud pounding on the door startled the three of you. Making the guard at the door open it

Is he back already?

"Young master, home already?"

"Yeah, Chompy was getting tired, so I brought him back. Where's my papa?"

"He's out on a pursuit. He'll be back shortly."

The child pouts and kicks at the floor. "Okay..." His eyes wander behind the guard and lock on yours. "Who's that?" Junior asks, trying to get past the guard.

You smile and wave at the boy getting up to greet him. 

The guard steps aside. 

You put your hand out. "I'm (F/n). You must be Junior."

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')