[28] Sweeter Than Sugar

The sun sets, and darkness envelopes the land, marking the end of another day; most people take a moment to unwind and relax. 

But for you, the day is far from over. 

You continue to work tirelessly, ensuring everything is perfectly in place for tomorrow. Double-checking every detail and making sure nothing is left to chance. By doing so, you can start the next day with confidence and peace of mind, knowing everything is under control. 

With the generous help from the Koopas, the decorations were set up. 

The invites had been sent out days prior, and to your surprise, almost, if not everyone, you sent out responded that they'd attend. 

The food and refreshments were ready, and the activities' layout was planned. 

You plan to make a spectacular four-tier birthday cake for Junior in the shape of a volcano. You started working on the cake late afternoon, gathering all the ingredients, tools, and decorations. Carefully measuring, mixing, and baking each layer, ensuring it was perfectly level and moist. You then start to assemble the cake, layer by layer, until it starts to take shape. Carving out the crater at the top and fill it with melted chocolate.

The task was time-consuming and demanding, but you paid no mind to the fatigue setting in. 

You were determined to create a masterpiece that would leave Junior in awe. 

As the night drags on, you push through the exhaustion, knowing the result will be worth it. 

The smell of freshly baked cake wafted through the castle halls.

Hopefully, I don't wake anyone up with the smell...

Lately, Bowser was the last thing you wanted to worry about, but the thought of him was always on your mind. Even though he eventually came to his senses and apologized for his behavior, you still didn't like the idea of forgiving him so easily. It was a love-hate relationship at this point. Everything seems to be going well one minute, and the next, he's in one of those bitter moods. 

I feel sorry for everyone who has to deal with him. 

But it does keep things lively if one looks at it positively.

You thought about it while craving small details in the cake's fondant. Adding details later, but since you were far from that, you took your time and went at your pace. 

All seemed to go smoothly until you heard footsteps approach the kitchen area. 

"Sorry if I'm making too much noise, I'm almost-." You glance up, seeing Bowser standing at the entranceway. His sharp eyes fixed on you, and you can't help but feel a little uneasy in his presence. "Your highness..." You swallow a forming lump in your throat, darting back down, and continue your actions. "I suggest you go back to bed. I apologize if my work is interfering with that."

"It's alright, it's not your fault. I couldn't sleep anyway." The man walks over to where you and the cake reside and watches you from the other side of the dessert. "It looks amazing." He comments as you roll your eyes. 

"Thank you." You reply dryly. 

Bowser frowns, folding his arms and stares down at you. "Okay, what's wrong now?"

"Forgive me, but I have no clue what you're talking about." 

"You said we can talk-."

"After the party, your majesty." You interject. "In the meantime, I request you set it aside." You take a break, raising a brow at him. "Okay?" 

His mouth twitches in annoyance. "You're a piece of work, woman..." Murmuring to himself. "Fine. But..." The man points at the glass bowl filled with the melted chocolate. "Can I at least have a taste..?" 

You look at where he was pointing to and look back at him, a cocky grin making its way to your face. "Do you like sweets?" 

He nods like a little kid. "I'm particularly fond of anything chocolate..." Bowser mentions shyly. 

You chuckle at the way he's acting. "No need. I got something better." You clean off your hands and move to the other side of the kitchen where an unknown batch of desserts sat unnoticed until now. "I had extra ingredients and made brownies!" You smile and hand him the plate of goodies. "Have as many as you like, though I don't recommend sugar this late at night. It causes difficulty sleeping and weight gain." 

"You forget who you're talking to, (F/n). I can handle anything." He states, taking an entire brownie in his mouth like nothing. Munching on it like there's no tomorrow. 

Oh, wow...

Once the first one is gone, he goes in for another one. 

"Do you... like them?" You seem unsure, but he gives you a look that asks if his actions aren't enough of an answer.

He swallows the second one. "This is the best dessert I've ever had." The man looks at you with a warm and genuine expression, his eyes crinkling at the corners as he gives you a slight but heartwarming grin. 

Your heart skips a beat, and you can't help but feel drawn toward him. A wave of unexpected happiness washes over you. Feeling your tiredness fading away as you put on a smile and express your gratitude. "Thank you so much!" Your eyes shine with admiration and appreciation.

"You've earned another reward," Bowser says, going in for a third brownie. 

You blush and cover your cheeks with your hands, avoiding him not to notice. 

"Your choice this time."

You beam. "Really?!" You hyperventilate, shaking your hands excitedly. "My choice..." You mumble, then look at him with a smirk. "A kiss!"

"W-what?!" 

"On... the..." You drag your sentence to make him nervous. "Cheek!" You tap the side of your face and lean closer, eyes closed, and wait. 

"You're crazy..." He begins to mumble incoherently while rubbing his temples with his fingertips. "(F/n), no," Bowser says bluntly. 

You shrug. "Worth a try." You go back to finish the cake. "Do yourself a favor and try to sleep. It'll be a long day tomorrow."

The man pouts and takes the plate. 

No struggle this time; that's new...

He thinks as he places one foot in front of the other, his eyes fixed on the entranceway. Making his way towards it, his thoughts began to wander. Pondering over your suggestion. "If I feel like it, I might change my mind about your chosen reward..."

You suddenly stop, looking back up with a puzzled expression. "W-what?"

Bowser turns his back to you and, without uttering another word, sprints away, the sound of his heavy footsteps echoing in the distance and gradually fading away. 

So bipolar... 

Your hands slowly fall off the countertop. 

Although, he may consider the possibility..?

You bit your lip at the thought of that and more. 

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')