[33] Get Well Soon

"Wah! I'm so sorry you're sick! It's all my fault!" Junior burst through the bedroom door and ran to your bed.

You woke up an hour earlier but still felt drained.

The child cries into your bed sheets.

You pat his head lightly. "It's not your fault, Junior. It's nobody's fault. I should have listened to your father and taken my rest while I had the chance." You smile weakly. "This falls on my shoulders."

The boy sniffles and wipes the tears and clear boogers off his face. Looking up at you, he tries to smile. "It's amazing how long you lasted. Who knew you could fight off a sickness while doing what you did?"

"Nothing's impossible when you put your mind to it." You grin. "Always remember that, and you'll be all right."

His smile turns into a genuine one, and he laughs. "I'll try to remember that..." He curls up against you.

While you kept stroking his red hair, the door slowly opened.

"Knock, knock," Bowser announces before entering while carrying a food tray. His eyes landed on his son. "Junior, please don't bother (F/n) while she's trying to rest." The man says, setting the tray down on the nightstand.

You laugh weakly. "He's no trouble at all, don't worry."

Junior looks up from his place and sticks his tongue at his father.

"Stop it, you two." You point out. "You're both okay where you are."

Bowser rolls his eyes and obeys without realizing it. "I have something that's bound to make you feel better." He comments, grabbing the soup bowl and spoon and bringing it towards you. "It's not the greatest, but it's the best I can do."

You muster up the courage to try your tactics even in your weak state. "Can you feed it to me?" You ask sweetly, wearing a pair of puppy dog eyes to convince him.

How could he say no?

Bowser groans and caves in. "Fine." The man goes over to the other side where Junior wasn't and prepares to feed it to you. Carefully, he leans in, and you do the same.

You take the spoon full of the liquid, having it graze your tongue and slide down your throat. "Mm..." You sound. "It tastes heavenly." Your eyes shimmer at him. "Thank you, your highness."

His face turns pink, backing away slowly. "It's the least I can do..."

You tilt your head. "For what?"

He glances over to Junior. "Son, go with the rest of your siblings. I need to talk to (F/n)."

The boy reads the room better than most and nods. "You got it, papa!" Junior comments, getting off the bed, walking out of the room, and closing the door.

Bowser sighs heavily, setting the bowl down back on the tray. "May I?" He motions to the edge of the bed.

"Go ahead." You reply without hesitation.

His weight immediately made the bed sink.

"What did you mean by 'it's the least I can do'?"

"That's what I wanted to talk about." The man rests his hands on the sheets. "It's my fault you got sick. I overworked you without realizing it, and I apologize..."

You shook your head. "No, please don't say that!" Your sudden outburst startles Bowser. "I should have listened to your warnings. You told me not to overwork myself, and look where it got me..." You mumble the last part.

"I guess we're both at fault..." He chuckles, making you calm down.

"Still my fault, though..." You counter.

"Let's not discuss that anymore." The man remarks, getting up and preparing to give you a dose of medicine. "All that matters is getting you back on your feet." He grabs a pill and tries to give it to you, which proves to be a challenge.

"No!" You exclaim. "Leave me alone; I'm fine!"

Bowser struggles against you, continuing to try to give you the medication. "It's for your own good!" He wrestles your flailing arms away. And by some strange occurrence, he was fully on the bed and you under him.

"If this is your idea of making me feel better, I like where it's going~."

His face drops at your suggestive remark. Then takes advantage of the situation and holds you down, placing your wrists above your head.

Due to your weakened state, your strength is diminished.

"Wait! I'm not ready!" You cry out, and the man drops the capsule into your mouth as you do so.

Getting off you immediately and handing you a glass of water.

Which you sit back up and quickly take. "Gross!" You express with disgust. "That tasted terrible!"

"Not everything that's good for you tastes great."

You lay back down. "You're unfortunately right..."

"Get some rest." He says, getting up.

"Wait." Your voice makes him stop.

"What is it?"

"Please tell me a story to help me sleep quicker."

Bowser sighs. "You're not five anymore for me to tell you a bedtime story."

"I knew you were going to say that." You add with a pout. "Whatever..." You're ready to give up, but he softens up and speaks.

"Alright..."

You perk up.

"What would you like to hear about?"

You thought about it until it struck you. "Anything about you or anything relating to you. That would be lovely. Regardless of how it'll make me feel."

"Any requests?"

You have always wanted to ask about Junior's mother since day one, but something prevented you from doing so.

Another time then...

So, you tried the second biggest question.

"You said once that the seven oldest Koopalings aren't yours. But that they're your brothers'?"

His gaze falls to the floor.

"If you don't want to-."

"My brother is someone I barely mention or none at all..."

I'll be quiet now.

You thought, seeing he's prepared to tell you what you want to hear.

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')