t w e n t y - s e v e n

c h a p t e r 27

3rd Person Point of View

Miso stood in front of her full length mirror rather awkwardly. For the nth time, she smoothened out the nonexistent creases of her gown. It was a shame she couldn't smoothen out the creases between her eyebrows caused by the anxiousness she was feeling.

She was dressed in an immaculate white evening gown that reached the floor just barely. At rest, you will not notice its shimmering detail but as you move, the light will catch it, seeming as if the wearer is glowing. One could say she looked an angel. It hugged her body perfectly as if the dress was made solely for her. However, despite her glaringly obvious visuals, the girl felt otherwise. She felt smaller, if that was even possible.

Her head topples to the side, making the waves of her brown hair bounce with her. She stared into her reflection, still overwhelmed by the dress. As she does so, she recalled how the gown came into her possession.

It was yesterday after a day long of desperate searching for a gown, when she had found the box waiting at her doorstep. A sleek black box. She would have put it in the lost and found section if not for the white card sitting on top of it. There was nothing written on it apart from her name printed in a calligraphy font. She carried the box inside her house and placed it on the countertop. After inspecting the card for the last time, searching for other information, she set it aside before tugging on the ribbon of the box.

Nestled inside was the gown. The lid fell from her hands, hitting the floor with a thud. She took a step back, already knowing who had sent it. Quickly dialling the suspect's number, she looked longingly at the gown from a great distance.

"Hello." The boy greeted.

She tore her eyes away from the box. "I'm not a charity case." She snapped.

"Of course not." Hyunjin sat upright from where he was sat, afraid that she had offended the girl. "The dress code had changed and I didn't want to inconvenience you further at such a short notice." He explained, brushing his hair up.

It seemed that the dress code had changed from any formal attire to strictly black and white.

Miso chewed on her bottom lip. "Take this back."

"If you insist." He hummed. "But just so you know, they have a 'no return' policy therefore the dress will be thrown out." He added.

Going back to the present, Miso heaved out another sigh, cursing the blonde boy mercilessly. She had appreciated the gesture, but it was simply too much.

Her eyes landed on the clock by the wall. It was already 7 in the evening and the party was set to start at 8. As if on cue, the door bell rang, echoing all over the house. Casting a look one last time at her reflection, she grabbed the purse that came with the dress before waddling over to the door.

"Good evening, fair lady." Chan bowed extravagantly with a flourish of a hand.

Miso laughed openly before giving a curtsy. "Good evening, good sir." She faked an accent.

"You clean up well." Chan teased.

"I wish I could say the same to you." Miso joked with a shrug.