t h i r t y - e i g h t

c h a p t e r  38

I slowly peeked out the door to scan the coast.

It was lunch time and my classroom was deserted. There were a few students littering the hallways but most of them were probably in the cafeteria. Confident that I wasn't going to bump into anyone, I calmly walked out the classroom to refill my tumbler.

I was extremely hungry but I suppose water would suffice for now. I didn't want to risk anything since ever since this morning, I have done a very good job in avoiding Hyunjin -for reasons unknown- and I wasn't about to break that streak now.

As I was finished screwing the cap back onto the tumbler, my phone buzzed in my pockets.

From: Changbin
I'll pick you up after school, yeah? ^^ We're going shopping!

I could not stop the soft smile that made its way to my face. It was a simple text but the warmth that it radiated begged to differ. The screen practically glowed- I think there were flowers coming out of it.

I was never envious of people who had siblings. I have always been fine with being an only child but I could not deny that I was maybe slightly looking forward to having Changbin as my stepbrother. He was older than me but I could not help but find him adorable, which was ironic since he looked 10 times more intimidating- which I found to be untrue. We've only met but the effort he gave in getting to know me left me speechless. He made it clear that he was excited to have me as a sister. Very flattering.

No evil stepsisters for me.

It turns out, my mother loved me (not) more than I thought since the wedding will be taking place in Two months. Two months! I guess my little breakdown did me no favour. I desperately pushed back the negative thoughts and forced myself to believe that it was for my mother's happiness. I shouldn't be so selfish, right?

A sigh escaped from my lips before I typed a reply to acknowledge Changbin's text.

Since the wedding was so near, there wasn't much time for preparations such as having customised suits and gowns so Changbin basically forced me to shop with him. What is with boys and dragging me to shopping sprees?

"Who are you texting?"

I jumped in surprise, catching my phone mid-air. But my tumbler rolled to the floor with a loud clang. I quickly spun around with the intention of giving an earful but that completely backfired since I did not notice that the culprit was so damn close, causing my nose to hit his cheek. I hated how I jumped literally 30 feet away yet he stood there motionless with a smile.

"Why so jumpy?" Hyunjin smirked, closing the distance between us once more. He picked up my tumbler from the floor before handing it to me.

I quickly accepted it as I scoffed before spinning back around to march back to my classroom. Maybe I should have brought the helmet with me. He skipped next to me with an easy smile. "What do you want?" I asked, walking swiftly.

"You."

I coughed uncontrollably. I definitely should have brought the helmet. He was unbothered by my dying state and by the looks of his grin, it actually seemed like he was pleased.