f o r t y

c h a p t e r 40
l a s t

"Miso?"

"Huh?"

"You're spacing out again."

"I'm not."

"You're dipping the chicken in a glass of water."

My eyes travelled to my hand that was holding a drumstick, now dripping with water. I muttered a curse, dropping it before covering my face in frustration.

Minho clicked his tongue in annoyance, throwing a pickled radish at my head. "Hey don't waste food just because you're in a bad mood." He glared, pulling the box of chicken closer.

I glared back, leaning against my chair. "Shut up. You're not the one paying, anyway." I scowled.

Friday rolled around faster than usual and my week was unusually quieter. Honestly it felt like I went back in time wherein I haven't met everyone yet. I wasn't sure what to feel about it. If anyone had asked me if I had plans after school weeks ago, I would have laughed in solitary right at their face. But that did not apply anymore right now since I've been getting dragged to everywhere but my own house.

I don't know if it is karma doing the work but Hyunjin was actively avoiding me and I'd be lying if I said it did not bother me.

Oh, the irony.

I tried to push it at the back of my mind and persuaded myself into believing that he'd come around soon but I proved myself to be wrong now that the week had fled by. I kind of wanted to behead myself for being so confident.

After school today, I had no energy to do anything. I was drained like a prune but I still needed to go to work– which I did. I felt guilty however since my mood reflected in my poor flyer-giving skills. I was supposedly giving out flyers to no one and when the manager called for my attention, I realised that the flyers were literally flying everywhere. I was given the most simple task known to broke high school students yet I somehow managed to fuck that up. Amazing.

I felt sorry that the manager had told me to take a break when I've only been standing for no more than 15 minutes.

I even had no energy to be surprised anymore when Minho showed up at my workplace demanding for fried chicken, forcing me to treat him.

Minho slammed the table once, making the utensils clack. I shot him a look. He merely shrugged, before taking a bite of a wing. "Why are you spacing out like a dead fish?"

I chewed on my bottom lip, deciding whether if I should tell him since I knew for a fact that I would get nothing from him but the occasional insults and teasing. He raised a brow lazily when I remained quiet.

"You're so slow, these chickens are about to lay eggs." He motioned to the box, with his mouth full.

I frowned, deciding I had nothing to lose anyway. "Hyunjin's not talking to me." I mumbled awkwardly, feeling a little embarrassed for having a boy be the reason for my attitude.

I recalled back a few days ago wherein I was walking towards my classroom in the morning and we were a about to meet in between. Subconsciously, my pace slowed down. I guess I expected him to talk to me –like always– but I was more than embarrassed when he only gave a small smile and passed me like I was just a stranger. At the time, I was starting to believe it.