t h i r t y - t w o

c h a p t e r  32

The end of classes couldn't have come soon enough. It felt like it was dragging a lot slower than my usual Mondays. I spent the rest of the day with my nose buried in my textbooks in the hopes of blocking everything out. It proved to be useless when the letters only floated in front of me, my head not fully registering what it said. I wasn't sure if I was just dizzy from having to skip lunch or I was just dizzy from all of the thinking I have been doing.

With the lack of sleep and food, I wouldn't be surprised if I dropped dead soon. So when the homeroom announcements finally came to an end, I was practically the undead.

I hadn't realised that I had fallen asleep on my desk and was only woken up by the sounds of the chairs scraping the floor. Lethargically, I shoved my books back in my bag while my classmates chatted animatedly, already out the door.

A shadow loomed over my desk, causing me to look up. "You look.." Bang Chan's nose scrunched up, possibly trying hard to think of a word that would not offend me. "..unpleasant?" He finished with a cringe.

A small chuckle escaped from me. "Gee, thanks." I mumbled, avoiding his eyes.

It was immature but I wanted to distance myself from them since I couldn't help but think that all of them were just 'messing' with me. Whatever that meant. It was dumb of me to assume that they would consider me as a friend anyway.

I had already gotten up from my seat to leave the room before he could reply. However, a figure by the door halts me from my steps.

"Damn, Pororo. You look awful." Hyunjin began walking towards me to which my feet instinctively backed up. He stopped walking seeing my reaction and casted a glance at Bang Chan. I could see from my peripherals that the latter had just shrugged. "Are you alright?" He asked genuinely.

If I hadn't overheard about his conversation earlier, I would think that he was concerned. Clearly, that wasn't the case.

"I'm fine." I managed to say before walking past him.

Footsteps soon followed as I reached the hallways. "Are you sure? You don't seem-"

"I said I'm fine!" I snapped, doubling my pace as an attempt to put some distance between us but much to my dismay, his long limbs had caught up easily.

"Hey." His hands had circled around my wrist, pulling me back. "Are we.. alright?" He leaned closer, trying to catch my eyes as his voice had turned lower. I would have applauded right then and there for his top notch acting if it weren't for the hot tears prickling the corner of my eyes.

"Stop it!" I slapped his hand away. I only realised that I had raised my voice when some of the students had stopped walking and shot us some looks.

He looked utterly shocked- almost hurt even. I cleared my throat before averting my gaze to the floor to prevent myself from thinking that he was remotely affected. "Just.. leave me alone." I muttered before walking away.

I hated how good he looked with the headband I gave him. I should have given him a face mask. But I doubt that would even work.

The boy was living in my head rent free.

•••