Lady|Florence Pugh

You were walking down the icy streets of New York, your four year old niece in your arms after she had almost slipped and fell.

You saw a few people slipping around as you walked through the cold night. You were surprised how slippery it was considering how many people walk these streets you'd think they would be safer.

Luckily your boots were very good and you could walk easily without slipping but you still walked carefully, the last thing you wanted was to slip especially with your niece in your arms.

You passed many people as you tended to walk faster than everyone else around you. You were just about to pass the woman in front of you but she slips before you have the chance to and you instinctively try to catch her with your free arm.

You catch her pretty easily, especially considering that she was quite a bit smaller than you, if you had to estimate she was probably around five foot three or so.

You help her get her balance "are you okay?" You ask as you remove your arm from around her. She looks up at you, you could see a small sparkle in her eyes "yes, thanks to you" she smiles at you as she fixes her blonde hair.

You smiled back at her, she was beautiful but you made sure not to look too long so you wouldn't make her uncomfortable.

"Say hi to the nice lady" you say to your niece to fill the silence as the woman seemed to check you out, which you of course didn't mind.

"Hewo" the little girl giggles cutely and you smile, the woman just now spots the child in your arms as she was too busy looking at you.

"Hi, what is your name?" She asks, matching your nieces excitement. "Rosieee" she answers cutely as she slightly hides into your shoulder causing you to chuckle. "Well I'm Florence, or Flo" she tells Rose who smiles at her making Flo's heart melt at the cuteness.

"And I assure you I'm no lady" Flo chuckles looking at you, making you smirk. "If you say so" you respond with a small laugh.

"Thank you, again. For catching me" Flo says "no problem." You smile as you look into her eyes. "Mama" Rosie says as you stand there in silence for a little too long.

"Yes, let's get you to mama" you say to her, "it was nice to meet you Florence" you say as you walk away. She watches you in awe for a few seconds and then realizes that she never even got your name.

She tries to call for you to wait but you're too far away to hear. She curses herself for not asking for your number after she realized that the girl is not yours which deterred her from asking in the first place as she assumed you would be in a relationship.

She continues walking down the street thinking about you with no hope of catching up even if she tried due to your fast pace and the icy ground would slow her down more.

---

One month later...

You are walking with your brother and niece deciding to go into your favourite coffee shop, as you approach the coffee shop you spot Florence sitting by herself, through the window, sipping on her coffee as she reads something on her phone.

You knew you had to take this chance to make your move, fate has brought you back together and you couldn't waste the opportunity.

Luckily there was no line when you walked in, but quite a few people sitting around various tables.

"Hey Jess, can I have a piece of paper real quick?" You ask as soon as you come up to the counter. She looks at you with a raised eyebrow but gives you it.

You came here so regularly that you knew all the staff by name and they all knew you. "Thanks. My usual please" you add. You quickly write your number on the piece of paper and your brother orders for himself and his daughter and pays for you all.

You take the chance to talk to Flo. "Florence?" You say as you sit in the chair across from her. "The nice not lady right?" You smile.

She looks at you stunned for a second before she smiles. She starts putting her coffee cup down as she says hi and you take the opportunity to slip the piece of paper with your number under her cup as her eyes are focused on yours.

"What are the chances we would run into each other again" Florence says in disbelief. "I suppose fate brought us back together" you smile. "Maybe also because this is my favorite coffee shop and I'm her almost daily" you add.

"Oh really, well I guess I should come here more often then" she teases. "Maybe you should" you smirk.

"Come on Y/n, we need to go" your brother says loudly. "Sorry, duty calls. It was nice to see you." You say as you quickly get up.

You grab your coffee on the way "thanks Jess" you say and turn around to Flo as she watches you leave, throwing her a cheeky wink.

Her cheeks heat up at the action but you are no longer there to see it as you rush out to join your brother.

She sighs deeply for missing the chance again, especially because you were clearly into her too. She picks up her cup with a huff as she takes a sip.

She stays there for a little longer sipping on her coffee until she finishes it. She gets ready to leave and just before she stands up she sees a small corner of the note peeking out.

She looks at it a little confused and moves her cup seeing the note. She opens it, all it has is a number and a little smiley face drawn on it, it takes her a moment to connect the dots before she grins uncontrollably.

She couldn't believe that she had almost missed it. In your mind you thought if it was meant to be that she would find the note and she did.

She put your number into her phone straight away to make sure she doesn't lose it. It didn't take long for her to text you, even just to let you know that she got your number.