Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Around five, Mum went off to cook dinner and after a few minutes I heard keys in the front door. "That must be Millie," I said to Alex, completely excited to see her again.

"Hey we're home," I heard Millie's voice from the hallway. The door to the lounge opened. I sat still on the chair with Alex, his arms tight around me, comforting me silently. I saw Millie; she looked exactly the same, her red hair longer and brighter and her eyes the same colour. She was gorgeous. Then she suddenly saw me. "Ellie!" she exclaimed running to me. She lifted my off the armchair and into her arms. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, please don't cry I've seen too much today," I said happily. I pulled away from her. "This is Alex my boyfriend, well actually my fiancé."

"You're getting married?" she laughed happily.

"Yes baby I am, I can't wait. I heard you have a boyfriend too?" I said still smiling. I took Alex's hand and he squeezed it tightly.

"Um you might know him. Jake, come here," Millie shouted into the hallway where a shadow of a figure was checking his phone. The name Jake rushed through my head I remember him, before I even saw him I know who it is. I feel tears in my eyes. It's him, I see him fully in the face. He's shocked to see me too.

"Oh my god," he said his voice exactly the same. "I never thought I'd see you again. I've always wondered why you took off."

"Like you don't know," I cried. I felt Alex's arms slide round me holding me tightly to him, he made hushing sounds in my ear. "You could have stopped him, you knew what was going on but you never did. I know he was your sister's best friend but I was your friend too."

"No, I didn't know what was happening. Look I'm sorry I was stupid for not realizing it, I never realized that was why you left, I thought you got knocked up and were afraid to tell your parents or something, the whole school did."

"How would you like it if you got abused for over a year, wouldn't you feel like you couldn't live around people you know? Oh I remember now you don't have any feelings."

 "Now that's harsh, I have feelings like anybody else. There is a reason I'm going out with your sister you know."

"I really hope you've changed."

"I have. I'm not friends with him anymore. He started dating Tina after you left. I only found out when I went to her room and found her crying and bruised. I asked her what happened and she told me he hurt her and forced himself on her. She realized what he done to you and she was sorry for every she ever said. He's in prison now, Tina pressed charges and he got locked away. He's got five years. He's not allowed to see his daughter either."

"He has a daughter?"

"Yeah Tina gave birth to a few months ago. He has no rights to her for what he did."

"How did she get pregnant?"

"Unwillingly," he said remorsefully. "It was her first time as well." I suddenly felt tears run down my face for the girl who bullied me. "She said that no one would accept a girl with a baby but I know she's a strong girl and she will find someone eventually."

"I hope she does," I whispered. "So when did you meet Mills?"

"Earlier this year I met Millie she was different from other girls I knew. She had sadness in her eyes yet she didn't speak of what it was about. Although she did once say that something happened in her past that upset her whole family."

"I just don't want you to hurt her like he hurt me. Maybe you have changed but nothing can change the past."

"I'm sorry, I really am. I actually thought you were pretty cool, you seemed sure of yourself. Anyway most people thought you were hot, including me," he mumbled.