52. Together behind the curtains

_____________________

| December 22nd, Tuesday, 2020|

Annie stood in awe. It's not like she wanted to be rejected, but she surely wasn't expecting such straightforwardness. Of course, the two had gotten much closer the past weeks and she felt like maybe, just maybe, he was starting to fall for her.

But again, he's known for teasing and joking about serious matters.

The girl frowned.

"Stop joking."

She turned, bending down to grab her water bottle.

"Oh, God. I see we'll have to work on the communication part as a couple."

Lee Know jogged to her, a playful smile filling his face.

Although Annie's heart kept beating stronger and stronger, she didn't dare to say a word – no, actually, she didn't know what to say. Was he making an unfunny joke? Were there cameras around, so Dongchul was actually watching her to see if she was going to break the contract?

If so, she wasn't falling for it.

"...look! First you hate me for years because of a misunderstanding, and now you can't accept me liking you."

Not paying attention to his words, Annie looked around the room, searching for a possible hidden camera.

"What are you doing?"

Lee Know stopped when he noticed the girl looking like a meerkat.

"Checking for hidden cameras. Although they usually tell the person it is a prank when they notice it...I figured it out, you can cut the act."

He let out a sigh in disbelief. Turning his body left and right, the idol placed one hand on his waist and the other on his mouth. It was now his turn to think this was a prank because there was no way in hell such a smart girl would be this stupid, right?

"Anyway. Forget what I said, thanks for the help and I'll see you tomorrow for practice."

Before Annie could pass through the door, he blocked the way, putting his arm on the wall.

"I don't know what kind of game you're playing, but I'm being serious. I also don't know what kind of person you think I am, but this isn't something I say to anyone, okay? I honestly think you're pretty senseless for not noticing before. Have you ever seen me treating other girls like I treat you? Hell, have you ever seen me talk with other girls?"

"Well, you do talk a lot with Minj-"

"Haerim!"

She pursed her lips, hiding a smile.

"My bad, keep going."

Lee Know eased his posture and tilted his head.

"'Keep going'?"

"What? Don't tell me that's all for your love confession? No chocolate? No fireworks? Flowers? A shiny ring?"

He scoffed.

"You're a brat."

Annie put a hand on her chest, big eyes.

"Me??"

The male rolled his eyes and they both laughed, stopping once they caught each other's gaze.

"Thanks for liking me back."

"Thanks for giving me a chance."

Hesitantly, Annie wrapped her arms around his waist, taking one step forward to completely glue their bodies together. Finally, she could feel the warmth of his hug, the perfume on his neck, his hands caressing the back of her head. She could feel the affection she had been craving for years.

"One little thing, though."

Annie commented before pulling away.

"Hm?"

"I kind of can't date anyone before Flashlight's one year anniversary, which will be in like...four months? So..."

"So we should keep it a secret from everyone? Even our group mates?"

The girl felt extremely guilty about having to ask for such a thing. She knew how Stray Kids' bond was strong and how they told each other nearly everything, but still. Unless Changbin and Jaein started dating first, Annie knew her leader wouldn't support them – especially knowing who her boyfriend was.

As of the Stray Kids members, she didn't have much against them knowing, except for the fact they would eventually spill to someone.

"I'm really sorry...I guess we could tell Chan, though! And um, my brother may know about you already..."

"Yeah, it's important Chan kno- what!?"

He pulled her further away, both hands holding onto her shoulders.

"He doesn't know exactly who you are, though! I just needed relationship advice and he was my best shot."

"Oh my...I should meet him soon, then."

"Yep! And I should meet your cats!"

Lee Know chuckled.

"That will probably take some time, but I'll see what I can do."

"Speaking of cats, should we go to the cat shelter on Christmas?"

And maybe have a date too.

"Sounds great! We can help the kittens and spend time together without anyone bothering us."

"Oh, wow, it's gonna take a while for me to get used to this..."

Annie said, a little bewildered.

"What?"

"You, being kind and honest."

"Ha! Look who's talking!"

The girl raised her eyebrows.

"I'm still acting as I usually do."

He deadpanned. She was right after all.

"It's fine, I have enough love for the both of us."

Lee Know grinned, appearing proud.

"Ew! You're so cheesy! I take that back, there's no way I'm dating you."

Annie shook her head in disgust with a light smile on as she ran outside.

"Too late, you're mine already!"

He spoke with a laugh, not wasting any more time before chasing the girl.

_____________________