Chapter 7

I didn't feel the pain in my back at first. I was intently focused on Trey. I threw my hands behind myself, so I didn't fall back on the counter. Trey fisted the collar of my shirt, holding me in place.

I couldn't escape. He isn't a buff guy, but he's hefty enough to overpower me.

His eyes bore into mine. The stare was feral as he thought about what his next move would be. I stood as still as a statue as I waited for my lecture about talking back to him.

"You're nothing but a worthless employee. You can't even make a simple goddamn tip." His face was so close to mine, I could feel his breath on my face. Gross.

I opened my mouth to apologize for my actions, whatever they may have been.

Before I was able to get a word out, Trey brought his hand back and slapped me across the face. He released his hold on my shirt, and I fell to the ground. My cheek felt fuzzy, then it started to burn. The cold, hard floor felt like needles against my hands.

I sat on the sharp floor, my hands and knees keeping me up. I didn't dare speak when Trey backed away from me and continued to make his drink. All the while chastising me with his back turned. I didn't move out of my spot until he had left the main room of the café.

Once I was left alone on the floor, I glanced around the café. There was nobody to witness what had happened.

My back ached as I stood from the ground. I had no doubt that my back and face were bruised. I scurried to the bathroom and lifted my shirt.

A bruise was already forming from where I had been forced against the counter. Shit, if Mia sees any of these, things could get bad... well, worse than they are now.

I left the bathroom and high tailed it out of there. I sped down the sidewalk. I hadn't told Trey I was leaving. I couldn't tell him. There was no way I could face him after he laid his hands on me. Facing him could wait for another day.

Mia wasn't home when I arrived at the apartment. Maybe the marks from Trey will heal by the time I see her again. I took my phone out to text Mia. I formulated a lie about how I wouldn't be able to go to school tomorrow since I was feeling sick.

I also texted Trey. I kept the text short and straight to the point, I'm sick. There's no way I'm dealing with him tomorrow.

I sat on the couch and turned on Supernatural, not bothering to get changed or take a shower.

____

I was pushed roughly against the wall by some man. He laughed maniacally while I cowered behind my hands, which covered my face. The man threw a hard punch into my stomach, knocking the air out of my lungs. I can't breathe. I can't fight him off.

I shot up in a cold sweat and gasped for air. The room was dark and void of any life.

Oh, I'm home. The tv shone low with the Netflix message, asking if I was still watching. That nightmare felt all too real. I checked the time; it was only four am.

I rushed to the bathroom and flipped the lights on. The mirror revealed my rugged appearance. My hair was tangled, and my clothes were disheveled. The bruise on my face had a gross purple and yellow tint.

I pulled my shirt over my head and tossed it somewhere on the floor. I turned my body and looked over my shoulder. The bruise on my back was a deep blackish blue line which stretched from either side of my waist.

The sight was unbearable. My skin was usually a blank canvas, but these marks ruined that. I googled ways to heal bruises faster. Google doctors said to elevate my bruised limbs and apply a cold compress.