Chapter 39

Mia and Chloe were still out at dinner when I decided I would move around. My body was achy and tired from stress and strain. I wanted to go back to sleep and waste the day away, but I couldn't. Sleep wouldn't come to me.

I went out to the kitchen to make myself dinner, but I quickly realized I wasn't hungry. Mia had said they'd bring me food anyway, so there was no point in cooking. Before I closed the fridge, I saw the cake and pastries Corbin had gotten me from the bakery. 

A sharp sting pierced my heart at the sight. If I were still able to cry, I'm sure the sight of the cake would make me ball my eyes out. 

I closed the fridge and thought about what I would do with the cake. I couldn't eat it because it was the last gift Corbin gave me. I also didn't want to allow it to get moldy. I decided I would save that decision for later. 

I went to use the bathroom but kept the lights off since I couldn't bear to look at my appearance.
After I was finished, I went back to my room. More like my dark cave. Butter followed me, but I didn't give him much thought. 

I opened my phone and read Ryan's texts again. I had read them about a thousand times at this point. How did he know about what happened? Erick must've told all of his staff so they didn't allow me into the club. 

Fuck, thinking about the club made my head throb. I was starting to like that place and how free it made me feel. I would no longer be able to enjoy that freedom now. What really got me was the fact that Corbin didn't try to hold on. 

He didn't want to hear me out. I guess our relationship was so boring to him that it was so easy for him to drop it in a second. Warm tears greeted my cheeks as my thoughts ran wild.
Why couldn't Corbin and I live happily? 

A new message lit up my phone screen, ripping me from my overactive mind. 

Ryan: Call me, or I'm coming over! 

I sighed and hit the call button. I couldn't let Ryan see me like this, so there was no chance I'd let him come over. 

"Leo! What the fuck, why haven't you been answering?!" Ryan nearly yelled. 

"Because I've been sleeping," I spoke with a hoarse voice. It felt like my vocal cords scratched and scraped against each other. The sound of my voice was like a smoker's. 

"Holy shit, are you okay?" 

"No," I replied flatly, readjusting on my bed. 

"Why don't I come over so we can talk about this?" He offered. 

"No way. You're not allowed to see me like this." 

"Come on, Leo. I'm sure it's not that bad." He said. 

Ten minutes later, Ryan was standing in front of me as I opened the front door to let him in. He looked shocked by my appearance as he slowly stepped inside the apartment. 

"Okay, maybe it is that bad." 

"Seriously?" I rolled my eyes, walking to the couch, where I had made a comfortable space of blankets and pillows as I watched TV. 

Ryan sighed and went to turn on the lights. When he flipped the switch, I squinted hard and put a hand up to block the bright lights. 

"You're living like a bum. Get up, we need to fix you up." He said, bending down to pet Butter, who came out to greet Ryan. 

I winced at his harsh words, but he was right. Ryan helped me up from the couch and walked me to the bathroom. He ran the bath and poured some soap in. I didn't even know he had soap for a bath.