Chapter 49

Sam spoke with me for what felt like an hour, explaining what happened last night, how it happened, and so on. I zoned out part of the way through his lecture since I was still tired, and my mind was stuck on other things.

My head was full of Corbin, school, work, and drama, among other things. I listened to Sam, but his words didn't click with me.

I understood the general concept of subspace, but I didn't see why it was such a big deal. I mean, the way I felt last night was hardly different from how I felt when Corbin and I broke up. Talking about it, and adding the word subdrop to that feeling didn't seem right.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say I was sad? Or feeling down in the dumps?

"Leo, are you listening?" Sam called out.

My eyes shot to Sam from where they had been zoned out too.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I asked.

Sam placed a hand on my shoulder to comfort me. "You seem distant, are you feeling okay?" He asked.

"I feel fine. Just have a lot on my mind," I confessed.

"We don't have to talk about this right now, or ever if you don't want to. I just wanted to make sure you had an understanding of your emotions,"

"And I thank you for that," I smiled, placing my hand over the one Sam had on my shoulder.

"You're welcome. If you ever have questions or need someone to confide in, I'm always available," He offered. Sam turned his head and looked at Corbin. Sam's once smiley expression was gone and replaced with an annoyed look.

"Are you ready to grow up and fix your mistake?" Sam snapped at Corbin.

Without any objection, Corbin replied to Sam. "Yes. Leo, let's head out,"

I nodded and hopped down from the stool. "Bye, Sam, see you later!"

Corbin and I left the building and were greeted with a light storm of flurries. It wasn't quite snow yet, but it wasn't rain either. I walked closely to Corbin, reluctant to allow the warm air to escape my body.

"Are you taking me to school now?" I questioned as we approached his car.

"I haven't apologized yet. I was thinking we could talk over breakfast?" He offered.

"Food sounds so good. I'm starving," I said with a playful whine.

We pulled into the Starbucks parking lot, as per my request. Corbin was confused as to why I wanted to have breakfast at a coffee shop, but I couldn't get over their pumpkin frappuccinos. I ordered a sandwich, a cake pop, and a pumpkin drink.

And as always, Corby got a black coffee. Disgusting!

He let me pick our table, so I chose the one by the window. I watched the flurries fall as Corbin picked up our order. He set the tray on the table and handed me my food.

"Thank you," I said, giving a wide smile.

"Anytime," He replied with a kiss on my forehead. My heart soared at the gesture. I had never had someone treat me with such love.

"So what was it that you wanted to talk about?" I asked.

He took a sip of his coffee before responding. His body language came off as defeated.

"I wanted to apologize for last night." He stated, punctuating his apology with a heartfelt tone. "Not for the scene, but for after the scene."

"You mean, when I went into subspace? Like Sam was saying?"