Chapter 34

I wanted to shrink into the floor. I didn't want to find out what they'd do to me once they'd found me. I heard one of them walk closer, then stop at the foot of the bed.

I gripped my phone tightly as I waited for my fate.

"Shit!" Mr. Creep exclaimed.

"What?" The person who stood at the bed asked. 

"I see C's car." 

"Are you sure it's his?" 

"Unless some other sappy fuck has a Koenigsegg Gemera in this hopeless city, then yeah, I'm pretty sure it's his." The guy snapped at him.

"Well, what the fuck do you want to do when he gets up here?" The unknown man asked the creep. 

"We need to leave; I want more evidence before I tear C to shreds." 

"Fine, use the fire escape ladder." 

"Wait," the café creep said. He shuffled over to my dresser and picked something up. By the sounds of it, it was my wallet. I didn't give a shit if he stole my money, as long as it wasn't my life that he was taking.

I heard the two men scurry out the window. I was relieved to hear the sound of clanking metal from the men climbing down the ladder. I remained under the bed, not risking somehow ending up in a trap of theirs.

I quickly realized I was safe when I heard Corbin slam the apartment door open. "Leo?" 

"In here," I said with a broken voice.

Corbin came running into my room. I lifted the mattress and crawled out from under it.

Corbin lifted me from under the bed and pulled me into a protective hug. I kept my body close to his; it's where safety was.

"They left," I whispered. If I had talked any louder, then I'd start bawling. I wasn't sad or anything; I was just fucking terrified. I handled the break in much better when I wasn't around when it happened. This time was an all new experience and one that I wish I didn't have.

"They? There was more than one?" Corbin asked, but I didn't respond.

I trembled in Corbin's arms as he lifted me from the ground and took me to the kitchen. It was one of the only places that wasn't cluttered by the intruders. All of the cabinet doors were open, and so were all of the appliances. This time, though, it didn't seem like they had any desires to destroy the kitchenware.

I looked down the hallway and saw Mia's room—an absolute mess. The front door to the home was wide open and dented and scraped in some places. I could only imagine what it looked like on the other side, where it took the beatings.

Corbin wetted a cloth and wiped my forehead. I slouched on the countertop, keeping my legs tightly together.

"Did they hurt you?" He asked. His eyes were full of worry and concern.

I shook my head in response.

"I called Officer Woods on my way over. He should be here any minute." Corbin said. 

A moment later, we heard the blaring sirens of the police car barreling down the road. Not long later, Officer Woods walked into the apartment with his hand on his holstered gun.

"They're gone," Corbin announced. Officer Woods relaxed his posture and released his holstered weapon.

"We got a report about some men jumping out of a window and using a fire escape ladder to flee an apartment. It seems my suspicions were true about it being this apartment." Officer Woods scoffed. "My partner is securing the perimeter of the building; once he's finished, he'll meet up with us."