Weakening

Abbie's POV

The rest of the night went by in a flash. I couldn't help but stare at Chloe as she played with Armand, feeding him cookies and watching them smile. If I were a complete stranger, I'd say, 'Wow, he's such a great dad.'

He was so attentive to his little girl. But I know the real man. Cold-hearted, ruthless, and heedless. He's an alcoholic egomaniac who only looks for his own good.

He tried to approach me several times, but Hunter knew I felt uneasy, so he stayed by my side all night. Maybe he was scared of Hunter because I saw him talking to Armand. He looked horrified at whatever Hunter said to him, but I was glad because, after that, he no longer bothered me.

I tried my best to enjoy the night, I did... but I just couldn't. When the party finally ended, I happily went back to the room. I removed my shoes, removed the dress, and changed into Hunter's sweats and t-shirt. I am so ready to call it a night.

'I'm done. I really am. I'm going to go to sleep and forget this day ever happened. Goddess, I knew I should have stayed home. Why did I let everyone here talk me into coming?" I thought to myself, making Merida chuckle. "Because if you hadn't, you wouldn't have met your mate, Hunter Black. He's the most sexy son of a gun ever, and you know it. I get you're mad seeing them again." she says, referring to the Monteros.

"But look at the bright side, you and Hunter are finally together again," she chirps, making me sigh as I get into bed and cover myself.

"Why didn't you tell me about him? And about my new sister, you knew!" I asked Hunter irritatingly as the night ended, and we undressed for the night. He was sitting at the edge of the bed, taking off his shoes and loosening his tie.

He sighs, hanging his head. "Abbie, I know it looks bad. And believe me, I am upset at him too. I was ready to forget everything he was going through and kill him. Titus was ready to launch at him and rip his throat out. But it's not that easy. He's going through a lot. You need to talk to him, babe. There's a lot you've missed."

"What is there for me to talk about? The man sold me for whiskey! And now... He doesn't drink?" I ask sarcastically, making him look at me with pain in his eyes.

He sighs, closing his eyes, making me fume in anger as I cross my hands over my chest and stand, clenching my jaw.

"Abbie, if I didn't know what he's going through when you told me how he treated you... I would not have cared; I'd let him rot in my dungeon and wouldn't look back. Titus and I were ready to go after him. Rip him apart. If I had told you what I knew about him, you'd probably change your mind about him, but I'm unsure you'd believe it. I needed you to see him first. Before I tell you what he's going through. Abbie, there's a lot you don't know. Does he deserve what's happening? Probably." he shrugged, taking off his shirt and tossing it neatly on the side chair.

"Then tell me. I'm tired of people sugarcoating things for me. Tell me what I need to know." I asked him, a little irritated.

"He treated me like I was their maid. He beat me every chance he got and allowed his stupid daughter to do so as well. He beat his wife in front of me, and now... all of a sudden, I'm supposed to believe he's a changed man? Did he suddenly love his mate and treat her with all the love and care in the world? Why should I believe him?" I ask, pointing towards the door like he'd be out there.

I was mad. I was hurt. But mostly... I felt disappointed. Our moon goddess betrayed me for allowing me to suffer all those years I was under his care.

Chloe was just six years old. Which means my stepmom was probably pregnant when I left. Am I supposed to believe that he changed his heart when he found out she was pregnant, and now he's suddenly lovely? She's only a year younger than Jesse. I get it; my REAL dad, Bertram, always tells me that nothing happens as a coincidence. Everything has a purpose. I'm finding it hard to understand the purpose of everything I went through.

"When you left, he went mad. He beat people and drank away every day. My father had to intervene once when their alpha and he were caught in a brawl. He nearly killed his alpha." Hunter says, making my eyes widen. Armand had never gone against his alpha's word. His commands were the law to Armand.

"What?"

"We tried to figure out what he was talking about. But... to think about it, it makes sense now. Armand yelled at him that day, saying, 'It's your fault.' something about betrayal and rogues. Abbie, if I'm correct, your dad was not selling you," Hunter says, making my blood run cold.

"I... what? I don't understand."

"Abbie, I have my suspicions, but I can't tell you all the details until I'm sure. If I'm right, Armand was not selling you. He was sending you away somewhere. He trusted the pack's gamma to send the men who were supposed to take your time to wherever he was sending you. It was the alpha... and someone else who sent the other rogues. Ordered them to attack you." he says as he stands up and stands in front of me, placing his hands on my waist delicately.

I shake my head and take a deep breath. "No. I... I don't believe it. He... he was sending me away. I remember. He knew those men, I'm sure of it.

"Abbie, if there's one thing I've learned, it's to pay attention to details. Your dad was not selling you, as you thought. The gamma was supposed to bring two men to take you somewhere secretly. But I think his alpha found out. If you only knew how alpha's are about their members. We do not like it when we lose a member, Abbie. We are very territorial when it comes to our members. Armand kept talking about how she deserved to meet her. She deserved to have her back." He says, making my eyes prick with tears.

Could it be? But then... why? I had never done anything to my old alpha. I had always stayed away from him. He hated me and treated me just as severely as Armand, but I never thought he would be capable to try and kill me. Yet- who is the 'she' Armand was talking about? Who deserved to meet me and have me? Could it be he lied to me about my real mom, too?

"Abbie, your dad was trying to return you to your real mom. Except, he knew he had lied to you. He secretly wanted to send you away, back to her. He got into a big fight with the alpha and the gamma, Abbie. Needless to say, your dad killed the gamma, but the alpha hurt Arman,...he killed his wolf." Hunter says, making my eyes widen in shock.

That explains why he began aging like an average human. Once your wolf dies, there's a risk that you become fully human again. Other times, some werewolves remain strong and powerful like any other werewolf,... Their wolf is gone and can never shift again.

"I'm not saying you should pity him, Abbie. I'm still pissed learning how he treated you. It makes me glad he lost his wolf. But- I'm not sure if my suspicions are true, but if all this evidence is true, then your dad didn't sell you; he was sending you back to your mom." he says, wiping my tears away. I hadn't even noticed I had tears in my eyes until now.

"Abbie, that's not all. About two years back, the council detained your old alpha for doing horrible things. It was thanks to your dad that the council was able to gather enough evidence against him. As you know, he was sentenced to death, but because of that, someone who was allied to the alpha went after Armand and had him captured for a while. Your dad never wanted to talk about it, but since that day, your dad's days have been numbered."

I looked at him with shock, tilting my head. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, your dad IS dying, Abbie. We're not sure how long. We've done studies, and nothing comes out. But I think you were able to see it for yourself. He's rotting. He's weakening, and I'm not sure how long he'll last, Abbie. He's dying, that's for sure."

Could it be? I wished upon the stars and implored our moon goddess to make him pay. To make Armand suffer a slow and painful death. But... why do I feel guilty now? "He deserves it; stop feeling guilty, dumb girl!" Merida says, making me close my eyes and sigh.

This doesn't look good. I'm sorry, I'm confused. Could my real mom be alive? And if she is... why didn't she ever look for me? Or could he be lying again to get away with this sympathy act? Goddess, what am I going to do?