Chap 30- A plan succeeds

"Where's Dhruv?" asked Manik as he felt a wave of panic strike him.

"Out in the football court," said Nandini her voice reducing to a faint whisper.

"He is there alone at the moment but we have it all planned," she continued,"Shahid and Harshad shall be arriving there soon. I have informed Randheer that Dhruv is out there alone."

"And both you and Buddy didnt care to tell me anything about it!" yelled Manik.

"Relax Manik," she said," your anger will ruin everything. Thats why Dhruv wants you out of it."

IN THE FOOTBALL COURT

Dhruv stood there alone gazing at the stars. His heart was full of pain and grief at the news of Manik and Aliya being together again.

"Manik wait!" said Nandini running after Manik to stop him.

"Dhruv has it all planned," she said finally being able to stop him," do not mess with this."

"You have no idea how low Harshad can stoop to hurt us!" he said feeling extremely worried," I will break his bones if he creates any trouble this time."

"Thats exactly what they want," said Nandini," you will hit them and they will have their proof."

"Those rascals!" he grumbled.

IN THE COURT

Harshad and Shahid advanced towards Dhruv. Shahid was carrying a whistle with him. As soon as they approached Dhruv, Shahid blew the whistle. The whistle produced a sound.........not any ordinary sound, but a peculiar characteristic sound. It was sharp and shrill, and loud............it was the exact same sound that had haunted Dhruv for years.

The incident flashed in front of Dhruv's eyes. The dark corridor, the drumsticks, the slippery floor, the...........the sharp sound of the whistle..............

FLASHBACK

SEVEN YEARS AGO

It was the first day of new session in Warrior High. All the eight standard students had gathered for their morning assembly. Manik as usual was in the music room practising. No one dared to mess with him even then.

Dhruv had caught a mild fever. So he was resting in the infirmary. Suddenly, he heard a very sharp sound, the sound of a whistle. He opened his eyes and saw their PT teacher standing right next to him.

"Good morning sir," said Dhruv getting up.

Before he could realise what was happening, the teacher grabbed his arm and threw him onto the floor. A few medicine bottles fell down and the floor was now too slippery. Dhruv was unable to get up.

"He was the one sir," said Harshad entering the room," he was the one who told our headmistress that you touched Sneha in a wrong way. Sneha was not even complaining sir. He was the one who provoked her."

"I will teach him a good lesson now," said the teacher and kicked him really hard.

"Help me," Dhruv cried in pain.

"You filthy fellow," yelled the teacher grabbing Dhruv's hair," How dare you mess with me!"

And then the teacher punched and kicked him until he fell unconscious. Manik had come looking for Dhruv when the other students had told him that Dhruv was in the infirmary. To his horror, he had found his buddy collapsed on the floor with bruises covering his body. Since then, Dhruv had developed severe post traumatic stress disorder and very often had those attacks.

FLASHBACK ENDS

Dhruv felt his anxiety rise and he could feel his heart pounding in his chest.

"Relax Dhruv," he said to himself," they cant hurt you now. You are not in eighth standard anymore."

"Dhruv!" said Nandini rushing towards him and hugging him," are you okay? Did they hurt you?"

Dhruv smiled seeing that Nandini was executing the plan really well.
"You know him Nandini?" said Shahid amazed by what he just saw.

"I am dating him Shahid," she said," how dare you try to hurt him!"

"We wont spare him!" said Harshad and blew the whistle again.

Dhruv felt his anger rise. And then, within seconds he had those attacks again. In a fit of rage, he punched Shahid really hard. Shahid fell to the ground crying for help.

Dhruv hit him again and again. Harshad began to record all this. Nandini grabbed Dhruv's arms and said," Stop it Dhruv, please! Calm down!."

But his attacks now were worse than ever. He pushed Nandini aside and kicked Shahid.

Just then, Dr. Mehta, the head of the anti-ragging committe came there.

"Have a look at this sir," said Harshad,"I told you that he has been abusing my friend Shahid for months. See how violent he is!"

"No sir," said Nandini wiping her tears,"its all a lie. I have known Dhruv for almost an year and we are soon to be engaged. He has a medical condition and my family is well aware of it."

"Miss Nandini Murthy," said Dr. Mehta,"if what you are saying is true, then I would like to have a word with your guardian."

Nandini quickly grabbed her phone and dialled chachu's number. After a brief talk, she gave the phone to Dr. Mehta.

"Mr. Murthy, I hope you dont mind me asking you about.........."

"About the attacks?" said Chachu assuming that Nandini's teacher wanted to discuss Rishab's condition with him as he had been told by Nandini.

"Yes sir," said chachu," they are terrible. And he gets violent too sometimes!"

"I see," said Dr. Mehta," thank you Mr. Murthy."

"Well if Nandini's family knows this,"said Dr. Mehta," then I have every right to believe them. They wouldnt get their daughter engaged to an abusive person. Something must have triggered this."

Saying so, Dr. Mehta left from there.

Nandini breathed a sigh of relief.

"Dhruv," she said rushing to him," are you okay?"

"Feeling a bit better," he said," thanks for saving the day."

"You are welcome," she said," but dont you forget your promise."

"I wont," he said smiling.

"Buddy," said Manik rushing to him,"are you fine?"

Dhruv nodded.

"This time you were lucky," said Harshad.

"You bloody...." said Manik advancing to hit him when Nandini stopped him.

"Control yourself Manik," she said," Dr. Mehta is still in college with the other members of the anti-ragging committee"

"I cant believe you betrayed me Nandini," said Shahid getting up,"these people tortured me and you........"

"It was I who made that video of yours," said Cabir," you didnt have the guts to face me, so you attacked Dhruv. What a jerk!"

"I did face you Cabir," said Shahid, "that comment beneath your family picture, Nandini wrote that to save me!"

"What!" said Cabir.

"Enough both of you!" yelled Nandini,"you both are to blame. Stop fighting now!"