Chap 48- Precious Manan moments

Manik parked his car outside the Scholars college and walked in. He disliked the place too much. Unlike space academy, the corridors here were quite narrow and you literally had to push your way through if too many students occupied it. The fans were old and worn out. The noises they made could give one a headahe. The desks were made of wood and were scribbled upon.

"How can one spend their college life here!" Manik wondered.

Nandini had asked him to meet her in the music room. The practice was over and almost all the bands had gone home. Up until 8pm the detention classes would continue, so the college gates would remain open.

Nandini was putting away the instruments when Manik walked in. She was wearing a white floral kurti with a long red pleated skirt. Her hair were tied into a braid and she carried a pink netted dupatta.

"Someone seems just too busy," said Manik closing the door behind him.

"Manik," Nandini was happy and relieved to see him. She walked towards him and put her hand over his eyes.

"Before I show you your surprise," she said," I want a promise from you."

"What do you mean?" he asked her.

"Promise me Manik that you are not going to be mad at Cabir!"

"What!" he said," why would I be mad at him?"

"Promise me first if you want to see your surprise!" she insisted.

"All right," he said.

Keeping his eyes closed, she led him towards a seating arrangement where a projector was placed. She gently removed her hand from his eyes and made him sit down.

On the screen, flashed some pictures of Manik. Well, some childhood pictures in which Manik was ten years old or younger. In most of the pictures, Manik was with his dad. Mr. Srikant Malhotra had passed away when Manik was only ten years old. The police had declared it a clear cut case of suicide but rumours floated about that he was murdered and the autopsy reports had been tampered with. Manik had believed it to be suicide and was extremely bitter about it. He was heartbroken and angry at his dad for leaving him alone when he had needed him the most.

"Manik," Nandini whispered as some more pictures flashed on the screen,"I know its your appa's birthday today. And I also know that you havent yet forgiven him for leaving you alone like this. But Manik......you cant deny that he loved you. He loved you more than he ever loved anyone."

The pictures of Manik's tenth birthday flashed on the screen.

"When my appa took his life," she said with tears in her eyes," people called him a coward! But I know that appa did his best. He did his best for us! We cant judge them Manik. We have no idea what they had gone through! Why dont you forgive your appa today and remember him for what he was- Your dad, your best friend, your hero!"

"Manik," she said placing her hand on his shoulder," please.................You have been holding on to this bitterness for too long. Just let it go please."

Manik silently got up from his seat and said," Did Cabir tell you all this?"

Nandini could sense the anger in his voice. She nodded silently.

Manik picked up a guitar that was lying on the floor and threw it at the projector. The machine fell and stopped playing any more pictures.

"How dare you!" he yelled at her," who do you think you are! Not even fab 5 has ever dared to do such a thing!"

"Manik I........" she was searching for the right words. Cabir had warned her against doing anything to trigger Manik's past memories.

"I.......I know that you are upset but....but just calm down and...........I mean just try to........." she was unable to form her sentences.