Chap 33- A pleasant memory

Nandini sat down and watched Navya get into the pool. She was really missing her home in Mangalore. She missed her friends, her school................All those memories were making her emotional.

FLASHBACK FIVE YEARS AGO

MANGALORE

Nandini was returning home from school. Her classmate Sandhya was also there with her. They both were riding their bicycles.

"Nandu, shall we go to the theatre this weekend? Mr. Perfect is being released."

"I think so," Nandini said," The lead couple is a treat to watch. I am already in love with all the songs of the movie."

"Sing for me please," said Sandhya.

Nandu began singing-

As she sang, she wondered if she would ever be able to find love in life. She wondered if everything shown in these movies is true or just some random bs. She rode faster as she sang. Suddenly, she lost control and her bicycle skid . Her arms and legs got badly scratched and bruised.

"Are you okay Nandu?" said Sandhya getting down from her bicycle and rushing to help her.

Just then, a big car drove past them and stopped at a little distance from them. A lady got down from the car and walked towards them.

"Are you girls alright?" she asked them.

Nandini and Sandhya nodded.

"I must say," said the lady looking at Nandini," that you are a very brave girl. Not a single drop of tear even with all those wounds."

Nandini smiled with gratitude  and saw a young boy, a little older to her step out of the car.

"Mom," he said coming up to the lady,"Dont worry, I will help them."

Saying so, he offered his hand to Nandini. She held his hand and quickly got up. She dusted her hands and skirt. Her knees were badly hurt and bruised.  She took out her water bottle and washed the blood off them.

'Doesnt it hurt?" the boy asked.

"It does," she said.

"Will you go to the doctor?" he asked.

"No need," said Nandini getting on her bicycle," its all a matter of time. The wounds will heal."

After thanking them for their kindness, Nandini and Sandhya  got on their bicycles again.

"How will you ride with those hurt legs?" the boy asked.

"I will, dont worry," she said.

"No way," he said," get off. I will ride. You can sit behind me. Is that okay mom?"

"Yes," the lady said," Go drop her home and I shall wait here."

Nandini wanted to decline the offer but she felt that it would appear rude, so she agreed.

"Mangalore is a lovely place, isnt it?" the boy said as he began to drive the bicycle.

"Yes," said Nandini and Sandhya.

"Well," said Nandini," are you here for a visit? You dont look like one of the locals."

"Yes," he said," We are leaving tomorrow."

As they drove past a small lake, Nandini saw some fireflies fluttering beneath a fallen tree.

"Fireflies in the afternoon?" she thought," how very odd!"

They finally reached her house. The three of them got down and Nandini and Sandhya thanked the boy for his kindness.

The boy then began to walk back.

"Will you ever come here again?" Nandini asked.

The boy turned around and said," I dont think so. But the world is big enough for us to meet again. Isnt it?"

Nandini smiled and waved him goodbye.

FLASHBACK ENDS

Nandini looked all around her and sighed. She was used to a simple life and now.................She couldnt deny the fact that she had almost fallen in love with the boy when he had offered his hand to her. But maybe it wasnt love, maybe......

"What are you doing here all alone?" her thoughts were disturbed by Manik's voice.

"Why dont you join your friend in the pool?" he said pointing towards Navya.

"No, thank you," she said," I cant swim and I am not used to these kind of parties."

"Oh come on," said Manik thinking about his plan," the pool isnt too deep."

"Come with me," he said giving her his hand.

"I am not sure but.........." she thought and finally decided to give it a try.

She held his hand and got up. She felt something when she held his hand. The similar feeling of comfort when..........

"What happened?" he asked," where are you lost?"

"Its nothing," she said.