Chap 47- A deal accepted

The Scholars College had the maximum attendance that saturday. Even the students who were permanently missing from their classes were present that day. Everyone stood in the assembly hall waiting for Mr. Mehra to make the announcement.

"Good morning students," said Mr. Mehra," I hope that you all are aware of the most prestigous news I am just about to share. This year, for the very first time, our college shall be making its entry in the musicana!"

"Its the biggest music fest of the year!" Navya whispered.

"Nothing can match how grand it is!"whispered Sumati.

"The Space Academy has been winning the trophy for the last three years," Vaibhav said.

"Ya," said Aryan," no one stands a chance against fab 5."

"Who cares about winning," said Shivam," we are lucky enough to be able to participate."

"Three bands shall be selected from our college," Mr. Mehra said," and ultimately only one out of them shall compete in musicana."

Once the announcement was over, all the students began to go back to their classes. Nandini was in the corridor, walking up to her classroom when Sumati caught up with her.

"So," said Sumati stammering a little,"are you going to participate too?"

"Only bands are allowed to participate,"Nandini said.

"You know," said Sumati," I have always wanted to be on the stage, with the spotlight glowing on me. But.........I have this stammering problem and........"

"You will overcome it with proper riaz and music therapy," Nandini assured her," Trust me, my friends back in Mangalore too overcame it."

"Thats not the point," Sumati said," I want to be there on stage. I want everyone to cheer for me. And I need your help Nandini."

"My help?" asked Nandini," what for?"

"Will you be my voice?" Sumati asked her.

"I........" said Nandini," I dont understand."

"I will explain," Sumati said," I will be the face of the band, the lead singer and you will be my voice. Dad will talk to our principal. The speakers shall be arranged in such a way that no one will doubt us. And I am perfect at lip sync!"

Nandini hesitated for a moment.

"Please say yes," Sumati pleaded with her.

"Okay," said Nandini.

"Brilliant!" said Sumati beaming with excitement.

THE SPACE ACADEMY

"What does Professor Raghav even think of himself!" Cabir said angrily.

"Five bands from space are gonna compete to get entry into musicana!" said Aliya rolling her eyes," Thats weird. I mean.....its fair but............"

"No one stands a chance against us," Manik said tuning his guitar," but let Raghav do whatever he wants to. Who cares."

"That black and white Madhubala too is auditioning," Cabir said," their college too is getting an entry this year."

"Last night," continued Cabir," she was practising and.........it was so boring that I instantly fell asleep."

"You mean to say," said Dhruv," that it was so soothing that you slept peacefully. We all are well aware of your sleep struggles Cabir."

"The point is," said Mukti," that the scholars college is going to be a tough competition for us. Believe it or not Cabir, but the college does have some of the town's best singers. Its a college where the middle class study and very often, thats where the real talent lies.

"Stop dampening the mood Mukti," said Manik," lets just get on with our rehearsals."

EVENING 5PM

"What took you so long to answer my calls?" Manik said when Nandini finally answered the phone on the seventh call.

"I............I was helping Sumati with her assignment," she lied. She had been practising with Sumati's band while Sumati was doing the lip sync.

"Why do you sound so stressed?" Manik asked her," you didnt even tell me anything yesterday."

"Its nothing," she lied," Anyways, if you are free after six, I have a surprise for you."

"Surprise?" asked Manik," what kind of surprise?"

"Nandini!" Sumati called out to her from inside the music room.

"Manik," she said," I need to go now. I will see you in the evening right here at my college. Bye."

"This girl," said Manik disconnecting the call," She is so unpredictable!"