Chap 50- KN5's performance

Nandini stood in the backstage watching patiently as Aarav and Ritvik arranged everything for the performance. She sat on a small wooden stool going through the lyrics of the song. She didnt want to mess up their performance.

"Where are you?" It was a text from Manik," why arent you here yet? You promised that you would come."

"I cant go and meet him right now," Nandini said to herself," KN5'S performance is just about to start!"

"Why isnt she here yet?" Manik thought while tuning his guitar.

"So, are we all set?" said Mukti tuning her guitar.

"I am a bit nervous!" Aliya said," the chorus part is a bit tricky and............."

"Did you have an argument with your brother?" Dhruv asked her sounding concerned.

Aliya stayed silent. But her eyes were moist, a fact that didnt go unnoticed by fab5.

"That rascal!" said Manik angrily," what did he say?"

"Bhai did not want me to come for the audition," Aliya said," he........"

"Whats the matter Aliya?" Mukti asked her," why do you sound so scared?"

Aliya recalled the incident.

"Bhai please!" Aliya was trying to stop Harshad from destroying her childhood pictures she had with fab 5.

"I want you out of fab 5!" Harshad yelled at her," you wont sing with them! Leave fab 5!"

Saying so, he pushed her so hard that she fell straight down the stairs.

"Its nothing," Aliya lied to her friends,"Just the usual arguments we have."

"I dont think so," said Dhruv in an angry voice," Tell me Aliya, are you hiding something from us?"

KN5's performance was just about to start. Nandini had taken her position at the backstage. Viraj had helped her with adjusting her mic . Sumati's mic was safely turned off and the loudspeaker was placed as close to Sumati as possible. If they could lip sync well, the judges wouldnt ever know that Sumati was not the singer.

Nandini heard the sound of a thundering applause as KN5's performance began. Ridhima began playing the violin while Ritwik was playing the guitar. Taking in a deep breath, Nandini began singing-

Luckily for Aliya, KN5's performance provided a distraction.

"Thats a perfect voice!" said Cabir listening to Nandini's voice.

"Lets go out there and check out our new competitors," said Aliya.

Fab 5 went out into the audience to watch the performance.

"That girl is truly talented," said Mukti watching Sumati sing on stage.

"That voice," said Dhruv is one in a million.

"Its magical!" Manik said.

"But still not good enough to beat fab 5," Aliya said with a tinge of jealousy in her voice.

"No one can beat fab5," Dhruv said,"but I must say that her voice is really impressive!"

KN5's performance ended with the audience cheering for them. There was also a huge round of applause for them. Sumati was overjoyed at the response.

"I cant believe this!" said Sumati," they are all cheering for me!"

"For us," Viraj corrected her.

"Yes," said Sumati proudly," for us!"

As soon as the performance ended, Nandini rushed to meet Manik before his performance.

"Why are you so late?" he asked her.

"I am sorry," she said," there was some last minute work at the college."

"Anyways," he said," Did you hear that band sing? I believe they are from your college."

"KN5?" said Nandini," yes, they are great!"

"That girl, the lead singer, whats her name?" Manik asked her.

"Sumati," Nandini replied.

"She has the voice of an angel," said Manik lost in thought.

"Tell me Nandini," he said to her,"what if I get her into space academy? I mean........I can arrange for some scholarship scheme for her and then maybe....................She really deserves to be in Space Academy!"

"Thats so nice of you Manik," she said,"Sumati will be so pleased."

Nandini heard the crowd cheering for fab5. She said to Manik," its time for your performance now. All the best Manik."

"Really?" he said pulling her closer,"is this how you are supposed to wish me?"

"What do you mean Manik?" she said sounding puzzled.

"Wish me properly Nandini," he said pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear.

Nandini stood on her toes and kissed him on his cheek.

"Are you happy now?" she said.

"Not really," he said," but I guess that will do for now."

"But," he said leaning closer to her,"when fab5 gets the trophy, I want a proper kiss."

Nandini blushed and looked away from him.

"I guess you should go now," she said,"Everyone is waiting for you."

"Will you stay?" he asked her.

Nandini nodded.

"Then stay somewhere safe," he said," please.......just be away from Randheer.........I just dont like that guy. I will see you after the performance then."