Chapter 13

Harry's POV

Cedric led me down to a part of the dungeons I had never seen before. Instead of a damp, dark and gloomy corridor I was met by a marble corridor donned with cheerful paintings of food. He walked over to a painting of a large pear and...tickled it.
The portrait swung open revealing a huge room. It was about as big as the great hall and had pots and pans hung up on the ceilings. There were large cabinets, fridges and ovens and the room had a lingering smell that while indescribable it was heavenly. About a thousand house elves were busy cleaning, cooking and sorting out different utensils.

"Welcome to the kitchens Harry," Cedric grinned.

"Wow this is amazing," I gasped.

"How may we help you young sir, Ma'am?" a squeaky voice asked.

"Hello, we missed lunch as we were attending an interview for the Triwizard tournament champions and we're wondering if there was any leftover food we could eat?" Cedric asked.

"Of course, we shall be right on it," the house elf squeaked.

"Miss, are you Harry Potter?" Another house elf asked.

"Yes I am," I responded with a smile.

Suddenly, the breath was knocked out of me by a small figure in a bobble hat.

"Harry Potter, what an honour it is to see you again!" The overexcited house elf squeaked.

"Dobby?" I splutterd.

"Yes yes yes Dobby is here!" He exclaimed

I laughed and hugged the little guy back. Looking over at Cedric, I saw he had a confused expression on his handsome face 'I'll explain later' I mouthed. He nodded then took the basket of food a house elf handed to him.

"He you are sir," it squeaked.

"Thanks," Cedric responded.

"Harry Potter, will you come and visit me?" Dobby asked nervously.

"Course I will Dobby - in addition how would you like to come and work for me,"
I asked.

"The great Harry Potter wants Dobby to work for him. Dobby accepts!" Dobby exclaimed excitedly, so excitedly he fainted.

I caught him then laid him down on the floor chuckling. I walked over to Cedric then motioned to the door.

We walked out together and up the flight of stairs. We found a secluded corner near the library and sat down together. Cedric put down the hamper then opened it.

I took in the delicious smell of fresh bread, cheese, fruit, cold meat and sweet treats.

"This looks amazing," I whispered.

"Yes it does, well let's dig in." Cedric responded excitedly.

I grabbed a piece of bread, buttered it then bit into it. It was delicious. I took another bite, this time I layered a piece of cheese on the top.

"Why don't we play a game." I suggested.

Cedric swallowed a lump of bread, cheese and cold beef before responding.
"What did you have in mind?"

"Well, why don't we take it in turns to ask each other questions to really get to know each other?" I explained my suggestion between bites of bread and butter and cold meat.

"Great idea," Cedric exclaimed.

I flushed then asked "what is your favourite childhood memory?"

Cedric popped a grape into his mouth and considered his answer. After swallowing he responded "probably when I was 7, my mother took me to the woods and we spent the whole day exploring in the nature it was magical."

I smiled at him then he asked "what is your favourite thing to do?"

"Fly," I responded simply before asking Cedric another question "what is your favourite subject?"

"Transfiguration," Cedric responded.

"What is something you can do that not many people know about?" Cedric asked.

"I can create a patronus," I smiled.

Cedric stared at me on shock.

"I thought you'd never surprise me more than when I saw your beautiful appearance but you proved me wrong. I've always wanted to be able to cast a patronus."

"Well maybe I could teach you," I smiled shyly.

"I'd love that," Cedric expressed.

Grinning, I asked my next question "what is your favourite colour?"

I popped a few grapes into my mouth and waited for Cedric's response.

"Yellow, it's so bright and happy."

"What quidditch team do you support?" He asked.

"I don't actually support one. Since I was raised by Muggles, I didn't grow up with quidditch however I'd love to see more professional matches in the future to decide on which team I will support." I explained my answer carefully causing Cedric to nod with understanding.

We continued to ask each other questions about the most random things until all the food was finished. We stood up and walked into the library, still whispering to each other.

We sat down at a table in the far corner and pulled out defence against the dark arts homework. Cedric began his essay while I flicked through my books making notes on different curses, hexes and jinxes. Occasionally we would look over eachother and offer a smile or Cedric would offer a piece of advice on how to make my research sound excellent and thorough.

Eventually we both finished and I asked "did you want to have a go at the patronus charm?"

Cedric nodded then put a privacy ward around our table.

"Right I want you to close your eyes and think of your happiest memory. Let it fill you up with joy to the tip of your fingers."

Cedric had closed his eyes and appeared to be concentrating.

"Once you have your memory, repeat after me. Expecto patronum," I continued.

"Expecto patronum," Cedric repeated.
A silvery substance came out of his wand however it did not quite form anything.

"Well done, try again, this time with a little more confidence. " I suggested.

"Expecto patronum," Cedric repeated again. A whispy figure of an animal formed however it was still hard to make out what it was.

"Give it one more try Ced," I said.

"Expecto patronum," Cedric repeated for the third time.

This time something happened. A roaring lion exploded out of Cedric's wand. It was quite the sight.

"Wow, this feels amazing. Thank you for teaching me Harry." Cedric exclaimed in excitement.

I grinned. I picked up my stuff then sighed "well I should probably go back to my room and catch up on my history of magic work that I missed. Thanks for a great afternoon Cedric."

As I was about to turn away, Cedric called out, "Harry wait, let me escort you back."

I grinned "Very well."

We walked up several flights of moving stairs to the seventh floor and along the corridor until we reached the Gryffindor common room.

"I had a great afternoon, thank you so much," I gushed.

"I had a lot of fun too." Cedric smiled.

After taking a deep breath I plucked up the courage and asked "Do you want to go to Hogsmeade with me this weekend?"

Cedric looked at me before smiling widely and saying "it's a date."

My heart fluttered. I was going on a date with Cedric Diggory. A proper date, like one that was confirmed as a date. 

Carefully I stood up on my tip-toes and brushed my lips against his cheak. I smiled at him before walking over to the door to my room and opening it cautiously after whispering the password.