Part 19

I give in and we make our way to the outdoor dining area and before we are able to find a table, Topper and Kelce walk up to us.

"Pogues aren't welcome here." Kelce states coldly.

"Back off." Rafe demands.

"What the hell is she doing here?" Topper asks Rafe, as if I'm not standing less than a foot away.

"She's my friend, I invited her."

"You can't be friends with a Pogue, man."

"Why don't you just mind your damn business?" Rafe spits back, getting in Toppers face. I can see him getting angrier and angrier.

I gently touch my hand to his bicep, and I see some of the anger melt away. He grabs my hand and starts walking away, roughly bumping Toppers shoulder with his on the way. Topper and Kelce eye me as I walk past.

We find a table and have a seat. I sit there nervously. Rafe must notice that I'm uncomfortable, he places his hand on mine over the table and rubs circles with his thumb, calming my nerves.

"Who cares what they think?" He speaks up as the waiter approaches. Rafe orders our drinks and food, knowing what's good here and what's not.

We sit there talking and I can feel myself calming down as the minutes go by. The food is delicious. After we finish our meal, we stay a little longer, lost in conversation.

"Rafe Cameron!" I hear someone yell.

I pause and look at Rafe, the blood rushes from his face as he whispers a 'fuck' under his breath.

"Hey stay here, I'll be right back." He tells me as he gets up and quickly walks outside of the club.

I sit there and look around as I wait for him to get back. A few minutes go by and I can feel people staring, making me uncomfortable. I hold out for as long as I can but I finally get up to find Rafe.

I follow in the same direction he left in and find him outside arguing with someone. It's a guy I recognize from the island, but not well enough to know his name. He looks pretty shady. As I get closer, I see that this guy has a gun in his hand. My eyes go wide and just as I'm about to turn and hurry off back to the table, the guy spots me.

"Nothing to see here, Princess." The guys says to me with a creepy grin. Rafe turns around and sees me standing there.

"Olivia, I told you to wait at the table." Rafe says sternly as I am standing there speechless.

"Country Club gots hisself a littly girly friend, now does he?" The guys mocks.

"Barry, I'll get you your money, just give me a few more days." Rafe tells him.

Barry holds the gun up to Rafe's head. "Boy, I'm gonna get my money one way or another." He punches Rafe in the stomach. "Don't make me come looking for you again, either." He threatens and walks away.

I run over to Rafe, who is now hunched over on the ground, clutching his abdomen.

Tears start to fall down my face as I help him up and try to make sure he's okay, but he nudges me away.

"Rafe, I'm sor-" I start to apologize but he cuts me off.

"I told you to stay there." He says loud and angrily, making me jump slightly at his tone.

When he realizes he has raised his voice and that there are tears in my eyes, his face softens. He wraps his arms around me.

"I'm sorry, I just don't want you to get hurt." He apologizes. "Let's go." We get back into the truck and sit in silence for a few minutes.

"Who was that guy?" I finally ask.

"Barry, he was my dealer."

"And you owe him money?"

"Yeah, he gave me some coke to sell for him but I ended up tossing it."

"Where are you going to get the money?"

"I'll figure something out." He tries to assure me and begins driving away.

He glances over and must notice the worried expression on my face.

"Hey, don't worry. Everything will be fine." His hand returns to my thigh, the other on the steering wheel. I don't move it away this time.