Part 39

"Hey Liv! Did you hear? Rafe will be back in the morning." Sarah says as she walks up, sitting next to me on the sand.

A wave of guilt washes over me and hits me like a truck. It's been about 3 weeks since he broke things off so he could work on himself. And what did I do? Hook up with someone else. How was I going to face him?

"That's great!" I reply, putting on a smile.

"I'm really sorry that he broke things off between you two. Especially over the phone, I mean that was pretty shitty. He's been asking about you. But from what I hear he is doing a lot better. Like completely clean, oh and he's gonna start working with my father."

"I'm glad he's doing better." But I can't help the sadness that I am feeling. Sadness because he left me with no warning. And sadness with myself because I betrayed him.

...

Later that night I get a text, I turn my phone over and read through my shattered screen from when I threw it down on the concrete.

Rafe: 'Lunch tomorrow, 1pm?"

I send him a thumbs up emoji and let out a groan. I seriously fucked up. Is it wrong if I don't tell him? I mean all it would do is hurt him.

...

I get dressed into a gray crop top and a red high waisted skirt with some sneakers and look at myself nervously in the mirror.

I am currently counting down the minutes to 1pm

I am currently counting down the minutes to 1pm. Before I know it I hear Rafe's truck pulling up the driveway. I let out a heavy breath I didn't know I was holding and make my way out the front door.

Rafe hops out of his truck as he sees me approaching. His usual slicked back hair has grown a little longer and is now messily parted down the middle. He has to be the only guy I know that can pull it off.

He kisses me on the cheek and opens the truck door for me to get in

He kisses me on the cheek and opens the truck door for me to get in. I turn the radio to a low volume to drown out some of the silence while he drives. He pulls up to a small restaurant just outside of figure 8 and we go in to be seated.

"Liv?" He breaks me out of my thought as he puts his hand on my knee to stop my leg from bouncing nervously. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you too." I give him a shy smile.

"I hope you're not too upset with me. I know I should have told you I was leaving, I just thought you might try to talk me out of it." I shake my head in agreement and wait for him to continue. "I'm really sorry if I hurt you. I just wanted to make sure I could be the man that you deserve."

I pause as I brush a strand of hair out of his face. "You're the one that deserves better."

He furrows his eyebrows at me. "Hey don't say that. You are everything I could have asked for and more. I hope you can forgive me. And maybe wanna get back together with me?"

I smile at him before pressing a kiss softly on his lips. I get butterflies in my stomach, just like the first time he kissed me. "Of course."

We finish our lunch and head back out to the truck.

"Are you okay? You've been oddly quiet today."

"Yeah, just... have a lot on my mind."

"Well, maybe we can do something tonight to get your mind off of things. Topper is having a pool party, if you would like to go."

"A kook party? I dunno..." I trail off for a moment "...plus are you sure it would be a good idea for you to go?"

"Yes, I'll be fine baby. You can invite your friends too. Come on, it'll be fun."

It seems like he really wants to go to this party, so how could I say no?