Part 45

I arrive back at the chateau and it seems to be empty, at first. When I open the screen door I see JJ sitting at the kitchen table eating a bowel of cereal. I attempt to walk by without having to speak to him but I hear him say my name.

"What?"

"Can we just talk?"

"About?"

"Look I'm sorry for what I did okay? I know I'm an asshole."

"Mhm"

"C'mon Liv. You're my best friend. I can't stand it when your mad at me."

"Why did you go it, JJ? It wasn't just your secret to tell!"

"I will say it a million times if I have to. I'm sorry. I fucked up."

"That still doesn't explain why you did it!"

He stands up quickly from his seat at the table, causing the chair to flip on its back on the floor. "It hurt seeing you with him! And knowing that you choose him! Is that what you want to hear? That it hurts seeing you with Rafe fucking Cameron, when you should be with me."

I shake my head in disbelief. "I can't do this." I say quietly, turning towards the door and letting it slam behind me as I storm out.

"Hey what's wrong?" John B asks. He and Sarah just pulled up and are getting out of the van. I ignore them and walk past.

Why do things have to be so complicated?

I go and sit on the edge of our dock with my feet hanging down into the water. This was my favorite place to think. I used to sit here everyday for hours when we first found out about my dads passing. Sometimes it almost feels like he is sitting here with me. My dad was stubborn as hell but he always knew the right thing to say. I wish he was here right now.

The sky is now dark with the exception of the glow from the crescent moon and the twinkling stars. I hear the crickets chirping and the cool night wind is blowing, causing goosebumps to form on my arms. I hear footsteps approaching behind me.

"Go away."

The person ignores and sits down next to me, wrapping a small throw blanket over my shoulders. I look over am met with the same shade of blueish green eyes as my own.

"I wish dad was here." I sadly say to my brother.

"Me too."

"Maybe he could help me figure out what to do."

"He would just want you to do what makes you happy."

"Rafe makes me happy."

"So what's the problem?"

"JJ."

"Ahh. So he finally told you?"

"You knew?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

I just shake my head. Was it obvious and I was just oblivious to the fact that my best friend had feelings for me? Why did he have to do this now?

"Look, JJ is a tough guy. If you want to be with Rafe, he will get over it. But you should at least talk to him."

He was right. I didn't want to hurt JJ, and I definitely don't want to lose him.