Part 35

I try calling Rafe for the 3rd time. Straight to voicemail. Again. If they left this morning the flight should have landed by now. Maybe he forgot to turn his phone back on, I tell myself. Or maybe he is just avoiding you, another part of my head tells me.

I really hope John B and JJ didn't scare him off. I make my way to The Wreck, where I know John B and Sarah were going to eat tonight. I find them sitting at their usual table and walk up.

"Hey sis." John B says as he spots me walking toward them.

I ignore him and turn my attention to Sarah. "Have you talked to your brother?"

"Not recently, why?"

"Well I haven't talked to him in 2 days and when I go looking for him I am told he flew to the Bahama house with your dad."

"Oh yeah, I remember them talking about a work trip. I'm sure he's just busy." She explains but it sounds like more of an excuse.

"Well if you talk to him will you tell him to call me?" I ask with a hint of sadness in my voice.

She shakes her head yes and puts on a smile. I walk away letting them get back to their dinner. In this moment all I can feel is confusion and sadness.

I decide I need to find a distraction so I clock in at the diner to help with the dinner rush and get ready for closing soon.

A few hours have passed and as I am setting the last plate down on a customer's table, I feel my phone vibrating in my back pocket. I hurriedly scoot away from the table and sneak outside. I feel a wave of relief wash over me as I see his name on my screen.

I hastily answer. "Rafe?"

"Hey..." Rafe says hesitantly on the other line.

"I went to find you today and you were gone. I was so worried about you."

He clears his throat. "Yeah" is all he says.

My concern is starting to grow. "Rafe, what's going on? You're acting weird."

"Liv..." he pauses to let out a sigh "... I think maybe we need to take a break."

My stomach drops at this statement. "What are you talking about?"

"I don't want to be the guy that puts you in danger. I think I need to get my shit straightened out first."

I am stunned in disbelief. I stay silent, not wanting to accept his words.

"Liv, please don't hate me."

"I don't hate you. I could never hate you, Rafe. Why are you doing this? You know I will help you."

"I know but it's not your responsibility. I think I just need some time to work on myself so that I can be a better man for you. You deserve the world, I want to be able to give that to you."

Tears start to form in my eyes. "Rafe please..." I plead with a shaky voice.

"Look I understand if you don't want to wait around for me. But I'm gonna get my shit figured out. I promise you that."

I end the call and throw my phone down on the ground in frustration. "Fuck!"