Part 29

My head is resting on Rafe's bare chest. My leg is draped over him and we are tangled together in the sheets. His fingers are gently running circles on my naked back. The sound of his breathing soothes me and I wish I could lay like this with him for hours.

There's one thing that's been on my mind and really bugging me.

"Have you paid that drug dealer back?" I break the comfortable silence.

"Not yet."

"Rafe-"

"I'm taking care of it." He tries to assure me.

I get the hint that he wants me to drop the subject, so I do, but I plan on bringing it up again later.

I sit up in the bed and start gathering my clothes and belongings. "I have to get ready for work."

...

I pull up to The Wreck just in time for my shift. I quickly walk in and finish tying my hair up in a bun.

"You were almost late." Kie points out.

"But I wasn't."

"You stayed the night with Rafe?" She questions.

"I did."

"Have you heard anything else from Marcus?"

"Kie, I don't have time for 20 questions." I say harshly and immediately regret it. "I'm sorry, we will talk later, I promise." I say, quickly apologizing after snapping at her.

...

Kie and I are now sitting on the back deck of the diner after our shift has ended.

"Are you okay, after last night?" She asks.

"I don't know..." I trail off for a moment. "Marcus was supposed to be gone, like forever, but now he is back? And of course the first thing he does is start a fight with Rafe." I vent.

"He doesn't want to see you happy."

I shake my head. "And on top of that I'm worried about Rafe and about a million other things."

"What's going on with Rafe?"

"He owes this drug dealer money."

"I thought he was getting clean."

"He is, he is, I swear. But he was supposed to sell some stuff for this guy and ended up flushing it instead."

"Fuck-" is all she manages to say.

"Yeah, fuck." I agree.

"What is he going to do?"

"He says he is 'taking care of it.'" I say with air quotes.

We both let out a deep sigh.