Little Mockingbird - Continued

"That makes more sense," he paused for a short moment. "I would have remembered meeting you." Your heart skipped another beat. He'll definitely be a problem.

"What brings you to my portrait?" He gestures over to the Madrigal mural, humorously flexing.

You rolled your eyes toward the painting. "Just familiarising ourselves with the area," you responded with a shrug. "Seeing where the wind takes us." You flicked your hand up to the sky. Camilo let out a soft exhale through his nose to your comment.

"Well, you were definitely familiarising yourself with me." Camilo once again shifted into your form, tracing the lines of his painting with his - well, your fingers.

You felt your whole body stiffen. You had forgotten that he saw you before you accidentally hooked the side of his face. He was walking in your direction, after all.

He let out a short chuckle and shifted back. "If you really want to get to know the village, come to the gift ceremony tonight." Camilo glanced at your brother. "You, and your family."

This was the first everyday sentence you have heard him mutter, one that didn't arrange the fluttering of butterflies in your stomach. This fact irritated you, only having known him for a total of 5 minutes.

You tilted your head to the side, not needing to say anything before Camilo jumped in to explain.

"The gift ceremony. Every Madrigal gets their gift somehow." He played around, shapeshifting into various people you've never seen or met before. "The whole village will be there, at Casa Madrigal," he added. "Can I count on seeing your face in the crowd?"

Your skin warmed up again. How annoying.

"Maybe," you paused. "What's in it for me?"

Something about his playful presence prompted a desire to give back the energy. He reciprocated your banter by giving you a half smile and batted his eyelashes.

"You'll get to see my pretty face, señorita. What more could you want?" He clasped his hands together. You let a laugh slip, and that seemed to please him, as he smiled at you.

Your heart picked up its pace, only for a second, though it was enough to notice.

You gave an approving look in his direction. "In that case, maybe you will."

He smirked and gave you a nod back, slowly turning in the opposite direction. Just as he was beginning to walk away, he stopped in his tracks and looked back at you one last time.

"Hope to see you tonight, sinsonte."