Warm Rain

You stared at her with nothing but sorrow and resentment. You didn't want to say the next words, but you knew you had to. "We're leaving."

"Y/N?" Your mother stared back at you with a suddenly shocked expression.

"I don't have time to talk, má, we're just leaving." You marched into your house, stomping your way up the stairs without visually acknowledging her.

"What do you mean we're leaving?" She called out to you from the bottom of the stairs, following you up to your room.

"We're leaving. I'll go back with you to pá," you huffed as you threw an assortment of clothing and other trinkets into the bag from underneath your bed.

A smile painted across your mothers face, although she quickly wiped it away.

"What made you change your mind?" She asked this as if she already knew the answer.

"The damage we're causing here, obviously," you said through a wrinkled brow.

You promptly held your finger up, waving it disapprovingly at your mother.

"This doesn't mean I'm helping your little plan," you quickly added. "If you want us to fix our family, I'll only go right now, so long as we leave this town alone for good. So either pack a bag, or leave me."

Your mothers eyes widened in an almost horror-like state at your statement, but she didn't protest. You expected her to leave you behind in the dust if you refused.

"Okay, Y/N, let's go," she complied. "Where's Gabriel?"

You paused, thinking of the right thing to say. No matter how much ice-cold hatred you had felt towards your mother right now, no matter how much you wanted to banish her from your life and act as if she had given you no memories, you didn't want to take a child away from his mother. At the same time, it would be the worst possible thing for him to be brought back with you. You just got him out, and you refused to let him be subjected to that kind of misery again.

"That's part of my condition," you slowly replied. "We go, right now, and leave Gabriel to live a better life here."

You saw the success on your mothers face quickly turn sour.

"Y/N, that's-"

"It's only me, or nothing," you interrupted her. There was no way you were backing down from this.

Your mother looked at you, not only sadly, but analytically. You felt a pang of disgust as you realized that even after all this, she was weighing out her options. In regards to her own children. You bit back your words of distaste as you awaited her response.

"Fine," she quietly said, "we'll go."

You slung your carelessly packed bag around your shoulder as you moved towards your bedroom door, giving your mother a slight push as you passed from shoulder to shoulder.

"Good," you replied, a dour expression crossing your face as you pounded your way down the stairs.

You ran over to the coat rack to grab something to shield you from the storm-ridden skies outside. As you reached out to the rack, you noticed your mothers hooded-cloak that hung on it was sopping wet. You avoided the cold, useless cloak and reached for the fawn poncho.

You felt you had waited eternity as you sat at the kitchen table, ready to see your mother turn the corner at any second.

At last, you saw her fling herself around and make her way over to you, a bag secured in her grip.

"Let's go," you said with urgency as you swung open the front door, bring the poncho over your head.

You and your mother stepped out into the dark and thundering surroundings, treading lightly as to not splash more than you needed to. Barely making your way out of the front door, you could suddenly hear a voice headed in your direction.