A Punch Or Two

You turned your gaze to Mirabel, relief washing over your face. "Sure, of course, Mirabel. Let's go."

Mirabel hovered around a picture of her abuelo Pedro in the nursery, grief engulfing the air.

"Hey, Mira," you softly caught her attention, "why don't we go out and get ready?"

She turned to you to nod, breaking out of her trance.

"Yeah, for sure," she replied solemnly.

As you stepped out of the nursery, you could see the decorations you and Mirabel had put up yesterday that were left in place. You walked beside the rows of bougainvillea that Isabella had grown throughout casita, Mirabel's sewed and stuffed, yellow butterflies set atop of them. 

You were surprised that Mirabel had as much decoration control as she did. Alma doesn't seem to trust Mirabel with anything, measly or not. Yesterday seemed to be an exception, though. Perhaps it's because it was for Pedro.

Mirabel had embroidered more yellow butterflies along the left sleeve of the white dress she had given to you for tonight, along with a matching one for herself. It was beautifully intricate.

Tonight was going to be perfect for the family, no doubt about it.

The sun tinted the sky in gentle shades of pink and blood orange, the sun preparing itself to set. It was time, and the guests of the village were to arrive promptly.

As you made your way down the newly placed staircase that casita had built in order to fit the decor, you were greeted by Alma.

Instead of the usual callous side eye she would give Mirabel, she instead looked at her with awe, tears beginning to form. 

If there was anything for this family to come together on, this would be it. It made sense to you, why it felt as though the entire family dynamics had shifted overnight. Alma even looked over to you, giving you a slow nod through a wobbly smile as she noticed your matching dress with Mirabel.

"Mirabel, Y/N, can you go to the kitchen to help Julieta with some finishing touches, please?" Alma politely asked instead of her usual demanding tone.

You and Mirabel exchanged your shares of "sure thing", and "of course", making your way over to the kitchen.

Julieta was scrambling around, attempting to put everything in order. Having to feed the entirety of a village by sundown would be stressful for anyone, even Julieta.

As she heard the two of you enter the kitchen, she popped her head up to greet you. 

Examining your outfits, her dough covered hands flew over her mouth into a gasp.

"Maravilloso (marvelous)! Mirabel, did you do this yourself?" Julieta began walking over to get a closer look, reaching out her hand to touch the embroidery on Mirabel's dress.

Mirabel quickly jumped back. "Aye, mamá, no touching with the dough!" She exclaimed through a chuckle. "But yes, I did."

"It's beautiful. The two of you look beautiful," Julieta added. "I would bring you in for a hug, but, you know," she joked, holding up her hands. Chuckles circulated the kitchen.

"Abuela said you needed help?" Mirabel asked, walking over to her mother.

"No worries, mi vida, not with your dress! I'll be okay," Julieta reassured the two of you. She waved for you to leave the kitchen. "Go help with hospitality!"

As Julieta said this, you realized you began to hear the patter of footsteps shuffling their way through the casa doors.

"Okay, mamá," Mirabel said as she gave her mom a light kiss on the cheek before making her way next to you, exiting the kitchen.