Don't Be Late

Before you could reply, a voice could be heard struggling over the music. You and Camilo both turned your heads. You saw Mirabel darting towards her family, calling out. "The house is in danger!"

---

"Y/N!" Your mother called you awake from the bottom of the staircase. "We're going to eat without you!"

Your eyes reluctantly blinked opened, taking force and sheer willpower to get out of bed. 

The scent of arepas de huevo filling the air helped, enticing you up. You made your way down the stairs and to the kitchen table, taking a sizeable first bite. 

Your mother glanced at you while quickly cleaning up before taking her spot at the table.

"You better wake up, mija, I need you to run to the market today."

"Okay, mamá," you said through a yawn, your hand folded over your mouth.

She shot you an eyebrow raise, but she didn't press. In actuality, you weren't quite sure yourself what was keeping you up, having you stare at your ceiling in the dead hours of the night. You had played with the idea that it was simply the ceremony, along with the rush of moving somewhere new, but that didn't feel right. Something felt wrong, off, but you couldn't put your finger on it. Plus, it had been two days since the ceremony. It couldn't have been that.

---

Soon after finishing up, you ventured back upstairs to get ready for the morning to come.

You were exhausted, and wanting to get the errands out of the way quickly, you threw on a casual skirt-and-shirt look, took your mother's list and bounded out the door, tightening your yellow bandana as you got outside.

It didn't take long to get used to the streets of Encanto. It was a small village and a tight community, leaving you to catch your way around easily.

You approached a market corner, making your way to a fruit stall. You had come here a couple of times since your arrival, allowing the shopkeeper to recognize you.

"Morning," you greeted her with a bubbly tone.

"Morning, dear. What can I do for you?" The frail looking women ran her fingers along her long braid as she responded. She held her hand out to the selection of fruits.

You unfolded your list, squinting your eyes to read. Without a trace of cloud in the sky, the sun burnt hot, reflecting off of the white paper.

"Maracuyá... Pitaya... Oh! Any lulo in stock?"

The shopkeeper silently nodded her head, pointing. "One left, good thing you came now!"

As you smiled at her and reached for the brightly orange coloured fruit, it got quickly snatched, right from under you.

You looked up, discombobulated and in disbelief, only to see your exact copy staring back at you.

Camilo morphed back into himself, rolling the fruit on the back of his hand before hurling it up into the air to catch it.

"Need this?" 

He held your gaze, awaiting your response. On a normal day, bouncing off of his energy was as easy as getting out of bed for an arepa de heuvo, but at this moment, you were too tired for his antics. You sighed, walking past him and down the street. Your hair bounced in its bun as you quickened your pace.

"Aw, not even a fight?" He called out at you from the stall.

You rolled your eyes to yourself, but no matter how tired you were, he still managed to have the slightest smile play on your lips.  How? 
"Nope. All yours." You called back.

After a few strides more with no interruptions, you heard the clack of shoes hitting the pavement coming up behind you.

"It's been awhile," Camilo said, reaching your side.

You raised an eyebrow at him as you re-folded your mothers list. "It's been two days."

"Two days, I know!" He said playfully. "I thought my dancing had driven you away," he added, chuckling to himself. 

"Your dancing?" You stated more than asked, confounded. "If there was a problem with the dancing, it would have been from my end." 

"So, the dancing wasn't horrible?" He said, a coy grin painting across his face. "I'll take that."

You had gotten better at hiding your blushed cheeks, but you still held the instinct to hide your face. You slightly arched your neck, looking at your feet as you walked. "Sure, you could say that."

You felt his grin turn into a smile. It seemed he tried to hide his face, too, but it was as though he has had practice with it before. You could barely tell.

After a few, short moments of silence, he tossed the lulo in your direction. Your pace slowed as you took hold of it, obtaining a solid grip.

Did he buy it for me?

Before you got the chance to ask- or thank him, you heard a voice singing out your name.

"Y/N!" 

As you set your focus to where the noise was coming from, you saw Mirabel, practically hurdling her way over the small crowd to reach you.

When she had finally caught up, she was fully out of breath. You weren't in a hurry, she didn't have to run... but she did anyway. You let out a short chuckle.

"Y... N..." Mirabel panted, catching her breath that was lost from the unnecessary sprint.

"Sheesh, Mirabel, what marathon did you come from?" Camilo remarked.

She shot him a put out glare before facing you. "Y/N, can I steal you for a minute?" She slyly glanced in both directions before lowering her voice into a whisper. "It's important!"

Camilo draped his hand over your shoulder. "Something I can't be here for?"

"No." She replied with a monotonous inflection, flattening her expression.

Camilo changed his position to his whole arm slung around your shoulder, squeezing you in like he did at the ceremony.

"Don't you know Y/N and I here are a packaged deal?" He used his free hand to point, switching between himself and you. "Come on, Mirabel," he dragged out the 'on' before additionally lowering his voice to a whisper, "what's the secret?"

Mirabel looked at you for direction. You gave her an unsure shrug, still in Camilo's grasp. She produced a sigh.

"Fine, Camilo." She succumbed, turning to face you. "See what I have to deal with?"

Camilo scoffed as you chuckled, looking up at him. There was that devilish grin.

"You, Y/N, come to the Casa tonight for dinner." Mirabel continued. "Don't be late, we have a lot to cover!"

Mirabel began rushing away, Camilo trailing behind her. He walked backwards for the first few steps, continuing to face you. He sent you a quick wink before turning around, catching up with his cousin.